Symmetry of Points Across y = x Line?

In summary, to show that the points (a, b) and (b, a) are symmetric about the line y = x, we can use the fact that the slope of the line connecting these two points is -1. This means that the line is perpendicular to the line y = x. To prove that the intersection point of these two lines divides the segment AB in half, we can show that the midpoint of AB lies on the line y = x, which can be found by taking the arithmetic means of the coordinates of points A and B.
mathdad
Show that the points (a, b) and (b, a) are symmetric about the line y = x.

Solution:

Let m = slope

m = (a - b)/(b - a)

I know the slope of y = x is 1.

Must I now show that the line y = x passes through the midpoint? If so, how is this done when the slope is not a number (as in this example)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that \(\displaystyle m=\frac{a-b}{b-a}=-1\). Therefore, the line connecting $A(a,b)$ and $B(b,a)$ is perpendicular to the graph of $y=x$ (it is known that the product of slopes of perpendicular lines is $-1$). It is left to show that the intersection point of the two lines divides the segment $AB$ in half. You can prove this by showing that the middle of $AB$ lies on $y=x$. Recall that the coordinates of the middle of $AB$ are the arithmetic means of the corresponding coordinates of $A$ and $B$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Note that \(\displaystyle m=\frac{a-b}{b-a}=-1\). Therefore, the line connecting $A(a,b)$ and $B(b,a)$ is perpendicular to the graph of $y=x$ (it is known that the product of slopes of perpendicular lines is $-1$). It is left to show that the intersection point of the two lines divides the segment $AB$ in half. You can prove this by showing that the middle of $AB$ lies on $y=x$. Recall that the coordinates of the middle of $AB$ are the arithmetic means of the corresponding coordinates of $A$ and $B$.

Must I find the midpoint using the given points?

RTCNTC said:
Must I find the midpoint using the given points?
Yes, as I said,
Evgeny.Makarov said:
You can prove this by showing that the middle of $AB$ lies on $y=x$. Recall that the coordinates of the middle of $AB$ are the arithmetic means of the corresponding coordinates of $A$ and $B$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, as I said,

Great. Very informative.

Related to Symmetry of Points Across y = x Line?

1. What is symmetry about the line y = x?

Symmetry about the line y = x is a type of symmetry in which a figure or shape is exactly the same on both sides of the line. This means that if you were to fold the shape in half along the line y = x, the two halves would perfectly match up.

2. How can you determine if a figure has symmetry about the line y = x?

To determine if a figure has symmetry about the line y = x, you can use the reflection test. Draw a line y = x on the figure and see if the two halves of the shape are exactly the same. If they are, then the figure has symmetry about the line y = x.

3. What is an example of a figure with symmetry about the line y = x?

A square is an example of a figure with symmetry about the line y = x. If you draw a line y = x on a square, the two halves will be exactly the same.

4. Can a figure have symmetry about the line y = x if it is not a mirror image?

Yes, a figure can have symmetry about the line y = x even if it is not a mirror image. As long as the figure is exactly the same on both sides of the line, it has symmetry about the line y = x.

5. How is symmetry about the line y = x useful in science?

Symmetry about the line y = x is useful in science because it allows us to easily identify patterns and relationships between different parts of a figure or shape. It is also important in fields such as crystallography and molecular biology, where symmetry is used to classify and understand complex structures.