What is the Solution to the Integral of e^-2x^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral and its solution, which the speaker is confused about. The answer is \sqrt \frac{\pi}{8}, but the speaker does not understand how it was obtained. The speaker has taken Calculus II but is unsure about the approach to solving this integral. The expert suggests using polar coordinates and a change of variables to solve the integral. The speaker thanks the expert for their help and asks for further guidance on how to become more comfortable with such integrals.
Moneer81
Hello,

the following integral confused me a little bit:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} e ^ {-2.x^2} dx [/tex]

The answer is [tex] \sqrt \frac{\pi}{8} [/tex]

and I have no idea where this answer came from. Do I start by saying let

[tex] u = e^ {2x^2} [/tex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, unfortunately the anti-derivative of [tex]e^{-2x^2}[/tex] cannot be written in terms of elementary functions. Where did you see that integral and how do you know the answer is [tex] \sqrt \frac{\pi}{8} [/tex] (which it is)? I ask that since it would help to know at what level this is- what kind of mathematics are you doing? I cannot imagine that you were told to integrate that in a basic calculus course unless you were given additional information. For example, if you already knew that [tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex] it would be simple.

well I've done Calculus II a long time ago and I thought that an exponentional raised to a power (that is a function) should be relatively simple to integrate. Care to tell me more about your suggestion? I am pretty sure I'll understand what you say because I've had quite a bit ofmath but it has been a long time ago so I'll remember it.

and the answer was in the book but I am interested in knowing how we got it.

Okay, take a deep breath, and fasten your seat belt!

Let [tex]I= \int_{0}^{\infty} e ^ {-2.x^2} dx [/tex].
Of course we also can write [tex]I= \int_{0}^{\infty} e ^ {-2.y^2} dy [/tex] since I does not depend on the "dummy" variable of integration.

Multiplying those together, [tex]I^2= \left(\int_{0}^{\infty} e ^ {-2.x^2} dx\right)\left( \int_{0}^{\infty} e ^ {-2.y^2} dy\right)[/tex].

Since one integral involves on x and the other only y, and the neither limit of integration depends on the other variable, we can combine them into a double integral:
[tex]I^2= \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(e ^ {-2.x^2}\right)\left(e^{-2y^2}\right) dxdy=\int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(e ^ {-2(x^2+ y^2)}\right)dxdy [/tex]

We can interpret that as integrating over the first quadrant (x and y both positive) and convert to polar coordinates.
[tex]e^{-2(x^2+ y^2)}[/tex] is easy: its [itex]e^{-2r^2}[/itex] in polar coordinates. The r-integral is from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex] and the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral is from 0 to [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] of course. Finally, the "differential of area" in polar coordinates is [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex].
We have
[tex]I^2= \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_0^\infty e^{-2r^2}rdrd\theta[/tex].

Of course, the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral just give [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] so
[tex]I^2= \frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^\infty e^{-2r^2} rdr[/tex]

The crucial point is that we now have "rdr"! Make the substitution u= 2r2. Then du= 4 rdr. or rdr= (1/4)du. Now we have
[tex]I^2= \frac{\pi}{8}\int_0^\infty e^{-u} du[/tex].

I'll leave it to you to finish that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivy, I have read (and posted myself) the above post several times. Do you think it ought to find itself in an FAQ (pinned to the top of the forum listing) amongst posts such as: "Why 0.999...=1", "No, you didn't just prove that 0=1", "A review of Partial Fraction Decomposition", :smile: , ...

-Ben

HallsofIvy,

Thank you very much for your help with this problem, I really appreciate it. I am trying to remember where I did something like this in the past. Do you know what do I need to study to be able to become more comfortable with such integrals?

thanks again

Related to What is the Solution to the Integral of e^-2x^2?

1. What are elementary functions in integral calculus?

Elementary functions in integral calculus are basic mathematical functions such as polynomials, rational functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions. These functions are typically used to represent and solve real-world problems in various fields of science and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of finding the integral of an elementary function?

The purpose of finding the integral of an elementary function is to determine the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, or determining probability distributions in statistics.

3. How do you solve for the integral of an elementary function?

To solve for the integral of an elementary function, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. The exact method used will depend on the specific function and the complexity of the problem.

4. Can all elementary functions be integrated?

No, not all elementary functions can be integrated. Some functions, such as trigonometric functions, may have integrals that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the integral.

5. How are elementary functions integral related to derivatives?

The relationship between elementary functions integral and derivatives is that the integral is the inverse operation of the derivative. This means that if you take the integral of a function, you can find the original function by differentiating the integral. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.