What is the solution to the infinite lamp game?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the series 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 + ... + 1/(r^2) as r -> infinity, with one proof being shown by Euler using the Fourier series of \frac{1}{2}\pi x - \frac{1}{4}x^2 and another by evaluating the (improper) double integral. The conversation also mentions an interesting math puzzle involving an omnipotent being and a lamp, and discusses Euler's method of proving the identity sin(x) = x * \prod_{n=1}^{\infty}1-\frac{x^2}{n^2\pi^2}. The conversation concludes
Ethereal
The following series can be shown to converge, but exactly what does it converge to? Euler was supposed to have proven it to sum to pi^2/6, but how?

1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 + ... + 1/(r^2) as r -> infinity

The following is a small maths puzzle that was asked in another forum, but which I know of no answer to:

Assume there exists an omnipotent being who decides to play a game with a lamp. After a minute has passed, he switches it on, 1/2 a min after this, he turns it off, 1/4 of a min later he switches on, 1/8 min later off, 1/16 min later on... After an arbitrarily long time period (1 hour for example, is the lamp switched on or off? What state would it be in?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One proof I know of [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex] is by using the Fourier series of [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi x - \frac{1}{4}x^2[/itex].

Another is by evaluating the (improper) double integral:
[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-xy}dx[/tex]
It's not hard to show that the integral is equal to [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex], by expanding the integrand as a geometric series.

I don't know what clever method Euler used to prove it.

Ethereal said:
After an arbitrarily long time period (1 hour for example, is the lamp switched on or off? What state would it be in?
Since it can be shown he will not flip switches for longer than [itex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}\approx 1.64[/itex] minutes, asking for it's state after t minutes is a meaningless question if [itex]t>\frac{\pi^2}{6}\approx 1.64[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks for the response to the first question. As for the second, can it be said that since he isn't flipping switches after 1.64 min, he must have therefore have left the lamp in only one possible state, since the lamp cannot be anything other than on or off?

Galileo said:
I don't know what clever method Euler used to prove it.

he simply used his famous sine product ..

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
he simply used his famous sine product ..

-- AI
Never heard of that.

Galileo said:
Never heard of that.

yeah I've never heard of that either, the only solution i know of to this problem is the Fourier series one. i wonder if there's an easier or more elementary way of doing it...

Could someone show Euler's method?

hmm i guess euler's sine product isn't as famous i expected it to be ..

The following identity is called as the euler's sine product ..
[tex]sin(x) = x * \prod_{n=1}^{\infty}1-\frac{x^2}{n^2\pi^2}[/tex]

Multiply out the first few terms and guess what is the coefficient of x^3??

now consider the series expansion of sin(x) ... what is the coefficient of x^3 here?

they should be equivalent ... so we get ... <fill in the steps>

-- AI

Coefficient of [itex]x^3[/itex] on the left side is [itex]-\frac{1}{6}[/itex]. On the right side: [itex]-\frac{1}{\pi^2}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex].

So how do you prove this sine product?

Consider,
1-((a+b)/ab)x+(1/ab)x^2
this factors as,
(1-x/a)(1-x/b)
Here a and b are the roots ...

Look at the solution, its format is more important ...

Now to euler's sine product ...
now sin(x) can be written as a power series (an infinite polynomial**),
its of the form x(1+...)

it has its zeroes at 0,+/-pi,+/-2pi,...
So i can factor sin(x) as x(1-x/pi)(1+x/pi)(1-x/2pi)(1+x/2pi)...
i.e x(1-x^2/pi^2)(1-x^2/2^2*pi^2) ...

This isn't a highly rigorous proof i know but still intuitive and pretty easy to understand ...

-- AI

** - an infinite polynomial isn't taken in a mild way by many mathematicians ... i apologise them to all ... :-p

Related to What is the solution to the infinite lamp game?

1. What is a converging infinite series?

A converging infinite series is a mathematical concept that describes a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is represented by an infinite sum of terms, with each subsequent term becoming smaller and smaller, eventually approaching zero.

2. How do you determine if a series is converging?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is converging. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the series to other known converging or diverging series, or examining the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of a converging infinite series?

A converging infinite series is significant because it allows us to represent complex mathematical functions in a simpler way. By breaking down a function into an infinite sum of terms, we can analyze its behavior and approximate its value to a desired degree of accuracy.

4. Can an infinite series converge to a negative value?

Yes, an infinite series can converge to a negative value. This is because the convergence of a series is determined by the behavior of the terms as the number of terms approaches infinity, not the actual value of the terms themselves. So, even if the terms of a series are negative, the series can still converge to a negative value.

5. Is it possible for a series to diverge and then converge?

Yes, it is possible for a series to diverge and then converge. This is known as an oscillating series and occurs when the terms of the series alternate between positive and negative values, causing the overall sum to fluctuate. In this case, the series may initially appear to be diverging, but as the number of terms increases, the oscillations eventually cancel out and the series converges.