What is the solution to POTW #210?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, POTW #210 is a mathematical or scientific problem posed by a community or educational organization for individuals to solve. The purpose of solving it is to exercise critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and expand one's knowledge and understanding in a particular subject area. To solve it, one must carefully read and understand the problem, gather relevant information and data, and use logical reasoning and principles. There can be multiple correct solutions, but the most important aspect is to provide a logical and well-supported solution. Solving POTW #210 can enhance critical thinking skills and expand knowledge, making it a fun and challenging activity for becoming a better scientist or mathematician.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the abelianization of the fundamental group of the $n$-fold connected sum $\underbrace{\Bbb RP^2\, \# \cdots \#\, \Bbb RP^2}_{n}$.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. This time I'll give someone else's solution -- John Lee's in his book Introduction to Topological Manifolds, on page 267.
Write the fundamental group as $H \cong \langle \beta_1,\ldots, \beta_n\, |\, \beta_1^2\cdots \beta_n^2\rangle$. Let $f$ denote the nontrivial element of $\Bbb Z/2$, and define $\varphi : \operatorname{Ab}(H) \to \Bbb Z^{n-1} \times \Bbb Z/2$ by

$$\varphi(\beta_i) = \begin{cases} e_i, & 1 \le i \le n-1;\\f - e_{n-1} - \cdots - e_1, & i = n\end{cases}$$ By direct computation $\varphi(\beta_1^2\cdots \beta_n^2) = (0,\ldots, 0)$ (noting that $f + f = 0$), so $\varphi$ gives a well-defined map from $H$ that descends to $\operatorname{Ab}(H)$. The homomorphism $\psi : \Bbb Z^{n-1} \times \Bbb Z/2 \to \operatorname{Ab}(H)$ defined by $\psi(e_i) = [\beta_i], \psi(f) = [\beta_1\cdots \beta_n]$ is the inverse for $\varphi$.

Related to What is the solution to POTW #210?

What is POTW #210?

POTW #210 stands for "Problem of the Week #210". It is a mathematical or scientific problem posed by a community or educational organization for individuals to solve.

What is the purpose of solving POTW #210?

The purpose of solving POTW #210 is to exercise critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and to expand one's knowledge and understanding in a particular subject area.

How can I solve POTW #210?

To solve POTW #210, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, gather relevant information and data, and use logical reasoning and mathematical or scientific principles to come up with a solution. Collaboration and seeking guidance from others can also be helpful.

Is there only one correct solution to POTW #210?

No, there can be multiple correct solutions to POTW #210. However, the most important aspect is to provide a logical and well-supported solution that addresses all aspects of the problem.

Why should I attempt to solve POTW #210?

Solving POTW #210 can enhance your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and expand your knowledge and understanding in a particular subject area. It can also be a fun and challenging activity that can help you become a better scientist or mathematician.