What is the significance of the spooky alignment among quasars?

In summary, a recent study looked at a sample of 93 quasars, of which 19 showed a common alignment. However, the sample size was considered too small to draw any definite conclusions. The researchers suggest further investigation with a larger sample size. Some experts agree that the concept of alignment between quasars and their host galaxies is plausible, given the usual alignment of angular momentum in quasars.
Space news on Phys.org
I think a sample 93 quasars of which 19 apparently have a common alignment is too small to draw a conclusion.
Although certainly it would be worthwhile to investigate further whether the same pattern can be seen with a larger sample.

rootone said:
I think a sample 93 quasars of which 19 apparently have a common alignment is too small to draw a conclusion.
Although certainly it would be worthwhile to investigate further whether the same pattern can be seen with a larger sample.
I'd have to agree with this.

But at the same time, the concept isn't completely outrageous to me. I believe quasars usually have angular momenta that is in line with their host galaxy's rotation (as the jets from active galactic nuclei seem to be perpendicular to the plane of spiral galaxies). Naturally the angular momentum of the host galaxy will be based upon the angular momentum of the cloud of gas from which it formed, and it honestly makes sense to me that in filaments, the overall angular momentum would tend to be along the direction of the filament.

So it seems completely plausible to me, but I'd also like to see more data.

Likes Fervent Freyja and wolram

Related to What is the significance of the spooky alignment among quasars?

1. What is a "spooky alignment of quasars"?

A spooky alignment of quasars refers to the phenomenon where multiple quasars, which are extremely bright and distant objects in the universe, seem to be aligned in a straight line when viewed from Earth.

2. How common is a spooky alignment of quasars?

Spooky alignments of quasars are quite rare and are estimated to occur in less than 1% of quasar pairs. This is due to the fact that quasars are distributed randomly in the universe.

3. What causes a spooky alignment of quasars?

The exact cause of a spooky alignment of quasars is still unknown. Some theories suggest that it could be due to the gravitational lensing effect of massive objects between the quasars and Earth, while others propose that it could be a coincidence.

4. How are spooky alignments of quasars detected?

Spooky alignments of quasars are detected using large telescopes and advanced imaging techniques. This allows scientists to identify and measure the precise positions of the quasars and determine if they are aligned or not.

5. Why is the study of spooky alignments of quasars important?

Studying spooky alignments of quasars can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the distribution of matter in the universe and the role of gravitational lensing in shaping the appearance of distant objects.