What is the significance of neutron interference in the neutron drop experiment?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrons
In summary, the neutron drop experiment is looking for evidence of wave-like properties in particles, and so far they seem to be succeeding.
cragar
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/3525
I was reading this article about the neutron drop experiment.
And it says " According to the researchers, these heights correspond to the peaks in a standing wave created when the de Broglie wave of the neutron interferes with its reflection from the mirror. The first peak agreed well with theory, but the researchers still need to confirm the presence of the higher peaks. "
What does it mean when they say that the neutron interacts with its reflection from the mirror. Is this something to do with method of images or maybe reflected and transmitted wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/3525
I was reading this article about the neutron drop experiment.
And it says " According to the researchers, these heights correspond to the peaks in a standing wave created when the de Broglie wave of the neutron interferes with its reflection from the mirror. The first peak agreed well with theory, but the researchers still need to confirm the presence of the higher peaks. "
What does it mean when they say that the neutron interacts with its reflection from the mirror. Is this something to do with method of images or maybe reflected and transmitted wave.

It is behaving like it has wave-like properties, although that's not the primary purpose of the experiment. Only waves can interact with reflection. Reflection pertains to waves, not particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
so the neutron is interfering with itself?

cragar said:
so the neutron is interfering with itself?

That's the way I understand it. When a light or sound or water wave reflects of a barrier, it goes through a compicated self-interference interaction. I don't remember the technical details, but it must do so in order to change its vector. I'm sure an expert will be here to give a better answer.

But basically the neutron is behaving somewhat wave-like.

And when they say the neutrons are at discrete peaks and not a continuum. When the neutrons arrive at their peaks do they move in steps. Like the same thing as an electron moving to the next orbital. It moves from the first orbital to the next orbital without ever being in be-tween.

Related to What is the significance of neutron interference in the neutron drop experiment?

What are neutrons?

Neutrons are subatomic particles that have no electrical charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom, along with protons.

What is the mass of a neutron?

The mass of a neutron is approximately 1.675 x 10^-27 kilograms.

How do neutrons differ from protons?

Neutrons and protons are similar in mass, but differ in charge. Neutrons have no charge, while protons have a positive charge.

What is the role of neutrons in an atom?

Neutrons help to stabilize the atomic nucleus by balancing out the repulsive forces between positively charged protons. They also contribute to the mass of an atom.

Can neutrons be found outside of an atom?

Neutrons can exist outside of an atom, but they have a very short lifespan and quickly decay into other particles.