What is the significance of equal coefficients in power series?

In summary, the given statement states that two infinite series, represented by \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}(x-a)^{n} and \sum_{n=0}^\infty b_{n}(x-a)^{n}, are equal if and only if their coefficients, a_n and b_n, are equal for every n=0,1,2,... However, there may be issues with convergence as the sums are infinite and it may not be possible to use the fact that polynomials are equal if and only if their coefficients are equal. This raises questions about the definition of convergence in the context of p-adic analysis.
pendesu

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}[/itex] and [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] that are in R. Then, [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] if and only if [itex]a_{n}=b_{n} [/itex] for every [itex] n=0,1,2,... [/itex]

The attempt at a solution
(<<) Assume an=bn for every n=0,1,2,...
Then [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=a_{0}+a_{1}(x-a)+...=b_{0}+b_{1}(x-a)+...=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex].
(>>) Now with this direction I am having some issues as the series may not necessarily converge. My attempts have been feeble at best. The problem I have had is that the sums are infinite so I don't think I can use that polynomials are equal if and only if their coefficients are equal. At this point I am thinking about looking at the nth partial sums but I am not sure and just would like any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
pendesu said:

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}[/itex] and [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] that are in R. Then, [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] if and only if [itex]a_{n}=b_{n} [/itex] for every [itex] n=0,1,2,... [/itex]

The attempt at a solution
(<<) Assume an=bn for every n=0,1,2,...
Then [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=a_{0}+a_{1}(x-a)+...=b_{0}+b_{1}(x-a)+...=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex].
(>>) Now with this direction I am having some issues as the series may not necessarily converge. My attempts have been feeble at best. The problem I have had is that the sums are infinite so I don't think I can use that polynomials are equal if and only if their coefficients are equal. At this point I am thinking about looking at the nth partial sums but I am not sure and just would like any advice.
How can it be said that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty b_{n}(x-a)^{n}\ , [/itex] unless both sums converge?

That is the thing. This was something I was going to ask my professor that I am going to be doing research with in p-adic analysis. I am starting to think this may just be a definition since if I recall my professor he was saying how a p-adic integer which is a power series may not be a convergent power series in the ring of p-adic integers. My professor is busy right now. This might not make sense.

Related to What is the significance of equal coefficients in power series?

1. What is the definition of a power series equality proof?

A power series equality proof is a mathematical method used to show that two power series, which are infinite sums of terms involving a variable raised to different powers, are equal to each other. This is typically done by manipulating the terms of the series and using known mathematical properties to reach the conclusion that the two series are equal.

2. How is a power series equality proof different from a regular algebraic proof?

A power series equality proof involves manipulating infinite series, while a regular algebraic proof deals with finite equations. In a power series equality proof, the terms of the series are manipulated using mathematical properties such as the distributive property and the associative property. In a regular algebraic proof, equations are manipulated using basic arithmetic operations.

3. What are some common techniques used in a power series equality proof?

Some common techniques used in a power series equality proof include factoring, expanding, and reindexing terms of the series. These techniques are used to manipulate the series and make them easier to compare and equate to each other. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific problem and the desired outcome.

4. When is a power series equality proof necessary to solve a problem?

A power series equality proof is necessary when a problem involves two power series that need to be shown as equal in order to solve the problem. This is often the case when dealing with infinite series and their convergence or divergence. In order to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, it is necessary to show that the series is equal to a known convergent or divergent series.

5. Are there any limitations to using a power series equality proof?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a power series equality proof. One limitation is that it can only be used for power series, which are infinite sums of terms involving a variable raised to different powers. It cannot be used for other types of series, such as geometric or arithmetic series. Additionally, some problems may require more advanced techniques or knowledge beyond what a power series equality proof can provide, so it may not be applicable in all situations.