What is the science behind DC DC plasma transformers?

In summary, Rick Nebels is working on a plasma transformer that uses a plasma current to create a magnetic field. This current induces secondary currents.
Salvador
Good day , while reading about DC DC converters I stumbled upon some papers discussing a DC DC plasma transformer , the science behind it being similar to tokamak current drive or so they say , I tried to search various links for some information to get a clue about how it works but I couldn't find any info that I could understand , could some of you folks help me out with some explanations ?

A scientist named Rick Nebels is working on it as much as I can tell.
I would love to know the how it works , like do they apply a steady magnetic field from a DC winding to the plasma and the plasma somehow self oscillates to create a waveform in the secondary or what ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Salvador said:
Good day , while reading about DC DC converters I stumbled upon some papers discussing a DC DC plasma transformer , the science behind it being similar to tokamak current drive or so they say , I tried to search various links for some information to get a clue about how it works but I couldn't find any info that I could understand , could some of you folks help me out with some explanations ?

A scientist named Rick Nebels is working on it as much as I can tell.
I would love to know the how it works , like do they apply a steady magnetic field from a DC winding to the plasma and the plasma somehow self oscillates to create a waveform in the secondary or what ?

Hmm, yeah, all a Google search comes up with is traditional transformers to make high voltages for creating plasmas...

Do you have a pointer to the Tokamak B-field drive that you mention? I wasn't aware that there was a net current flow around a Tokamak in the plasma. Is there one?

In a tokamak, the toroidal field is produced by electromagnets that surround the torus, and the poloidal field is the result of a toroidal electric current that flows inside the plasma. This current is induced inside the plasma with a second set of electromagnets.

This is from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

As much as I understand I would say yes , firstly there are plasma confining electromagnets but there is also a current induced into the plasma so in the end the plasma creates its own EM field which pushes against the em field of the outer physical windings, this is how much I understand.
Looks like somehow the people working on the polywell have thought out how to use this plasma current carrying property to use the plasma as a sort of "flowing" iron core like in a typical transformer , the difference that in a typical transformer applying a steady DC would not result in a induced current but applying the same to a plasma induces somekind of flow which further can induce secondary currents ,

although as I said this is just a skecth and I kow nothing more I would really enjoy if someone could shed some light here.

berkeman , anyone?

To induce a current magnetically, the magnetic field needs to vary (increase) in time. Otherwise, one has a static field, which would be useful for confinement, but not for forcing a current in the plasma.

In a tokamak that uses resistive heating in the plasma, the gas/plasma behaves as a single winding, much like the winding in a normal transformer. One can pulse the current which causes a toroidal field, which acts on the charges to compress the plasma (j x B).

Nassim Haramein is using plasma in his patent. this information may be helpful.
<< Questionable reference redacted by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up Nassim and even though this thread is old I just want to point out he is one of those crazy folks who mixes science with various kinds of new age dogma about people all being one consciousness and being god like BS.
He literally makes science a religion.I suggest JeffVan you don't take him seriously.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Related to What is the science behind DC DC plasma transformers?

What is a proposed plasma transformer?

A proposed plasma transformer is a device that uses plasma, a state of matter consisting of ionized gas, to transfer energy from one electrical circuit to another. It is an alternative to traditional transformers, which use solid conductors to transfer energy.

How does a proposed plasma transformer work?

A proposed plasma transformer works by using high-voltage electrodes to ionize gas and create a plasma. This plasma acts as a conductor and transfers energy from an input circuit to an output circuit. The amount of energy transferred can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current of the input circuit.

What are the potential benefits of a proposed plasma transformer?

One potential benefit of a proposed plasma transformer is its ability to transfer energy without physical contact, reducing the risk of electrical shock. It also has a wider range of operating frequencies, making it suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, it is more compact and lightweight compared to traditional transformers.

What are the limitations of a proposed plasma transformer?

One limitation of a proposed plasma transformer is its efficiency, which is currently lower than traditional transformers. It also requires a high-voltage power supply to create the plasma, which can be costly. Additionally, the technology is still in the research and development stage, so it may not be readily available for commercial use.

What are the potential applications of a proposed plasma transformer?

A proposed plasma transformer has potential applications in high-power systems, such as electric vehicles and renewable energy grids. It can also be used in medical devices, telecommunications, and aerospace technology. It has the potential to improve the efficiency and reliability of these systems while also reducing their size and weight.