What is the role of motional emf in opposing motion?

In summary: The magnetic force would exist in the same direction as the applied force, but it would be weaker because the current would be going in the opposite direction.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Hello all,
If we have a bar that is perpendicular to a magnetic field, and that bar is being pushed to the left via an applied force, all the while a current (due to a voltage source and resistor) runs down through the wire. Therefore, there would be a total force comprised of a magnetic force due to the current and an applied for, both directed to the left.

My question is: since another magnetic force develops to oppose this motion and allow dv/dt=0, it will have to have current go UP through the metal rod, and therefore oppose the initial current that was supplied by the voltage source, correct?

Hopefully that makes sense without the need of a picture. If not, please let me know and I will attempt to draw a picture. Regards, Sandy.

Physics news on Phys.org
untitled-4.jpg

Here, I added a picture. F is the applied force acting on the bar. The B field is directed out of the picture, and there is a voltage source and resistor in series with the conducting bars. Friction is neglected. Obviously there will be current that enters the system and thus, there will be a magnetic force acting on the wire directed in the same direction as the force F. Now, another force, say F2, will have to induce a current in the opposite direction in order to obtain constant velocity. F2 will act opposite to F and the magnetic force developed due to the initial current flowing.

The current, once steady state is attained, will be clockwise in this picture.

Does this seem right?

No, if the system is in steady state, the magnetic force will oppose the velocity, and therefore the current will flow clockwise as you said. However, you introduced an unnecessary force.

All you would need to do is set F=Fmag for steady state conditions.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, considering I am new to this type of theory.

Also note that the only time that you would have had the conditions as you had it, is if the question explicitly stated that they wanted to prevent the system from moving, ie equilibirium with the sum of forces equal to zero.

In that case, it would be F + F(magnetic) = F(external)

I can't see it. Shouldn't there be a magnetic force along with the applied force F in the same direction, that would have to be overcome by another, but stronger magneticforce in the opposite direction?

Related to What is the role of motional emf in opposing motion?

What is motional emf?

Motional emf, or electromotive force, refers to the electric potential generated in a conductor when it is moved through a magnetic field.

What are the factors that affect the magnitude of motional emf?

The magnitude of motional emf is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conductor, and the length of the conductor.

How is motional emf calculated?

Motional emf can be calculated using the equation Emf = B * L * v, where B is the magnetic field strength, L is the length of the conductor, and v is the velocity of the conductor.

What is the direction of motional emf?

The direction of motional emf is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the velocity of the conductor, and your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will point in the direction of the induced current.

What are some real-world applications of motional emf?

Motional emf is used in various devices such as generators, motors, and transformers. It is also utilized in technologies like Maglev trains and electric bicycles.