What is the role of local realism in quantum mechanics?

In summary, local realism is a concept in quantum mechanics that suggests that objects have definite properties and exist independently of observations or measurements. It argues that the behavior of particles in quantum systems can be explained by hidden variables and that there is no action at a distance. However, this idea has been challenged by experiments such as Bell's inequality and the violation of the principle of locality, leading to the acceptance of quantum entanglement and the non-locality of quantum systems. The role of local realism in quantum mechanics is to provide a classical explanation for quantum phenomena, but its limitations have been demonstrated through empirical evidence.
bryan sanctuary
How did you find PF?
google search
I studied at UBC, U of Leiden, in quantum statistical mechanics and kinetic theory. I worked in chemistry at McGill University for many years doing the theory of NMR which involves spin theory. In 1997 I gave up NMR and started to study the EPR paradox. I do not follow the party line because I am a local realist. I will, therefore often play the devil's advocate and promote ideas like:
  • QM is a theory of measurement, but not of Nature.
  • Entanglement is a property of QM but not of Nature
  • QM does not give a complete description of Nature
  • The notion of long-distance entanglement is not understood.
  • Non-locality, and teleportation, make no rational sense.
My research is to use computer simulation to show an EPR pair violated Bell's Inequalities without entanglement.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Bryan. It's good to have you here. :smile:

Please keep in mind that we do not discuss unpublished work, but we would be happy to discuss your published works in the appropriate technical forums here. Enjoy the PF!