What is the role of A+B+C in finding vector components?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the components of a vector B and understanding the role of A+B+C = -1.90i. The sum of the j components is found to be 0, and it is suggested to split B into i and j components and use that information to solve the problem. The issue is resolved when it is clarified that i and j correspond to x and y.
White_Noise

Homework Statement

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5364/325n.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this simple problem. I don't know what role A+B+C = -1.90i plays. Even if the vector of B is found, I don't understand how to find the components of B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly you can see that the resultant of A+B+C gives something i right? That means the sum of the j components=0.

Can you split B into i and j components and use what I said before?

I got it, thanks. I was confused because I didn't know that i and j corresponded to x and y.

Related to What is the role of A+B+C in finding vector components?

1. What are vector components?

Vector components are the individual parts of a vector that describe its magnitude and direction. They are usually represented by x and y coordinates in a two-dimensional space, or x, y, and z coordinates in a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. First, determine the magnitude of the vector using the Pythagorean theorem (magnitude = √(x² + y² + z²)). Then, use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the direction of the vector in relation to the x, y, and z axes.

3. What is the importance of finding vector components?

Finding vector components is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to break down a complex vector into simpler, more manageable components that can be analyzed and manipulated more easily. This helps in solving problems and understanding the behavior of objects in different systems.

4. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. The sign of a vector component indicates its direction, with positive values representing a component in one direction and negative values representing a component in the opposite direction. For example, a vector with an x-component of -3 would have a negative direction along the x-axis.

5. How are vector components used in real-world applications?

Vector components are used in many real-world applications, such as navigation systems, flight paths, and computer graphics. They are also important in physics, where they are used to describe the motion and forces acting on objects. Additionally, vector components are used in engineering to design structures and machines, and in mathematics to solve equations and model systems.