What is the residue at ##z=0## for ##\frac{1}{z^3}+e^{2z}##?

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the residue of a function at a given point using the formula for residues. The attempted solution involves differentiating the function and setting the order of the pole as 3rd order, but it is pointed out that the order of the pole is actually 4th order. The conversation also touches on the importance of including the numerator in the calculation.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Find the residue of ##\frac{1-cos2z}{z^3}## at ##z=0##

Homework Equations

##Res=\frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n}[f(z)(z-z_0)^{n+1}]## Where the order of the pole is ##n+1##

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiating ##(1-cos2z)z^3## twice, leaves me with zeros against every term giving me ##0## for a residue which is incorrect. Mathematica gives me 2 for a residue. Since ##z_0=0## I am only left multiplying the top function by z. I have no idea what I am missing here.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
3rd order. I think I made a mistake that the 1/z^3 factor was not included in f(x). If I include it, it cancels out the z's outside of the cos2z function altogether. In that case, the part that gets differentiated and evaluated is just 1-cos2x.

Thanks,
Chris

kq6up said:
3rd order.
It is not. Don't forget the numerator.

I got it. I having trouble with a different problem now. A new thread is in order for that one.

Thanks,
Chris

Related to What is the residue at ##z=0## for ##\frac{1}{z^3}+e^{2z}##?

1. What is a residue in scientific calculations?

A residue in scientific calculations refers to the remaining quantity or amount after a process or calculation has been completed. It can also refer to the remains of a substance after a chemical reaction or process.

2. How is a residue calculated?

A residue is calculated by subtracting the initial quantity or amount from the final quantity or amount. This difference is the residue and can be expressed as a numerical value or a percentage.

3. What is the importance of calculating a residue in scientific research?

Calculating a residue allows scientists to determine the effectiveness or efficiency of a process or reaction. It also helps to identify any potential errors or discrepancies in the data and can provide valuable insights for further research.

4. What are some common techniques for calculating a residue?

Some common techniques for calculating a residue include gravimetric analysis, spectroscopy, and chromatography. These techniques involve measuring and analyzing the remaining substances or components in a sample after a specific process or reaction has taken place.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating a residue?

Yes, there can be limitations to calculating a residue, particularly when dealing with complex reactions or processes. Factors such as human error, experimental conditions, and sample purity can affect the accuracy of the residue calculation. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these limitations and use multiple techniques to confirm their results.