What is the required h for equilibrium in a body with two center of masses?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving the center of mass of two combined bodies and the concept of moments. The person has successfully solved parts i and ii of the problem, but is struggling with part iii and is seeking assistance. They believe the required height will be the one that balances the center of mass of the entire body on a vertical line from the point it is standing on. The conversation also mentions using geometry, trigonometry, moment summation, algebra, and arithmetic to solve the problem, and encourages the person to start by drawing and labeling the trigonometry and attempting different approaches.
Axe199

Homework Statement

problem attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i had no problem with part i and ii , iii on the other hand, i simply don't know what i should do , i figured out that the required h will be the one making the center of mass of the whole body on the vertical from the point it's standing on ( moments from both center of masses will be equal )
but i have no idea how to get that

Attachments

• 2014-04-08 18_49_37-papers.xtremepapers.com_CIE_Cambridge International A and AS Level_Mathemati.png
    2014-04-08 18_49_37-papers.xtremepapers.com_CIE_Cambridge International A and AS Level_Mathemati.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Axe199: It is just geometry and trigonometry, and the moment summation you mentioned in post 1 ... and algebra. And arithmetic. Just start by drawing and labeling the trigonometry; any and everything you know. Eventually, you will build relationships, and be able to write expressions. Just start, and try something. If you do not try something, and do not make a valid attempt, then we cannot check your math and give you hints on where you went wrong.

Last edited:

Related to What is the required h for equilibrium in a body with two center of masses?

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect of a force on an object. It is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How is equilibrium related to moments?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force or acceleration. In terms of moments, equilibrium is achieved when the sum of clockwise moments around a point is equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments around the same point.

3. What are the conditions for a body to be in rotational equilibrium?

For a body to be in rotational equilibrium, three conditions must be met: 1) the sum of all external forces acting on the body must be zero, 2) the sum of all external moments acting on the body must be zero, and 3) the body must not be experiencing any linear acceleration.

4. How are moments and torque related?

Moments and torque are closely related, as torque is the measure of the turning effect of a force on an object. In other words, torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and both are calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the point of rotation.

5. Can you have rotational equilibrium without having translational equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible to have rotational equilibrium without having translational equilibrium. This occurs when the sum of all external forces acting on a body is zero, but the body is experiencing a rotational motion due to the unbalanced moments acting on it.