What is the remainder when 4101 is divided by 101?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Remainder
In summary, Fermat's little theorem states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, ap − a will be evenly divisible by p. This theorem is applicable in problems involving remainders and exponentiation, and is commonly used in cryptography, such as in the RSA encryption technique. It is important to note that it only applies when p and a are coprime.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Hi!
This is not a homework question but it came in my test.
What is the remainder when 4101 is divided by 101?

Homework Equations

(1+x)n-1 is always divisible by x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Only the equation given above came in my mind but i wasn't able to bring it in that form. I am not able to devise other way to solve it. :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

The easiest way to do this, is with Fermat's little theorem or Euler's theorem (see wiki).

Most applicable here is Fermat's little theorem that says:
For any prime p holds: [itex]a^p \equiv a \mod p[/itex]

(Do you already know about this notation or should I explain? :wink:)Btw, is this IIT stuff or something?

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

The easiest way to do this, is with Fermat's little theorem or Euler's theorem (see wiki).

Most applicable here is Fermat's little theorem that says:
For any prime p holds: [itex]a^p \equiv a \mod p[/itex]

(Do you already know about this notation or should I explain? :wink:)Btw, is this IIT stuff or something?

Hi I Like Serena! :smile:

Sorry! But i don't know about Fermat's little theorem or Euler's theorem. :frown:
And yes, it may be from the IIT previous year question papers because most of the time my teacher try to make us solve IIT paper like questions. :wink:

I like Serena said:
(Do you already know about this notation or should I explain? :wink:)

It would be much appreciated if you explain me the notation. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry! But i don't know about Fermat's little theorem or Euler's theorem. :frown:
And yes, it may be from the IIT previous year question papers because most of the time my teacher try to make us solve IIT paper like questions. :wink:

Well, I don't know what is expected from you here.
Or whether you should know about these theorems already.
Typically it would be first year university mathematics material (algebra).

Actually there is an alternate way to do this for which you do not need to know these theorems. It's just more work.

If we take for instance 43 and divide it by 10, we can also take the remainder of 42 divided by 10, multiply it by 4 and take the remainder again.
The remainder of 42=16 is 6, multiplied by 4 is 24, and the remainder of 24 is 4.
Pranav-Arora said:
It would be much appreciated if you explain me the notation. :smile:

[itex]a \equiv b \mod c[/itex] is about the remainders in divisions.

For instance [itex]10 \equiv 1 \mod 3[/itex] means that if you divide 10 by 3, the remainder is 1.
And it is actually more generic, because you can also say [itex]10 \equiv 4 \mod 3[/itex], mearning that the remainders of 10 resp. 4 when divided by 3 are the same.
I guess I shouldn't explain the theorems as they are probably out of scope for your current class material.
Still, if you're interested, here goes:

Wiki also states Fermat's little theorem without this notation: "Fermat's little theorem states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, ap − a will be evenly divisible by p. "

101 is a prime, meaning that it is only divisible by 1 and by itself.

Since 101 is a prime, this means that 4101 - 4 divided by 101 has remainder 0.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Well, I'm don't know what is expected from you here.
Or whether you should know about these theorems already.
Typically it would be first year university mathematics material (algebra).

Actually there is an alternate way to do this for which you do not need to know these theorems. It's just more work.

If we take for instance 43 and divide it by 10, we can also take the remainder of 42 divided by 10, multiply it by 4 and take the remainder again.
The remainder of 42=16 is 6, multiplied by 4 is 24, and the remainder of 24 is 4.

[itex]a \equiv b \mod c[/itex] is about the remainders in divisions.

For instance [itex]10 \equiv 1 \mod 3[/itex] means that if you divide 10 by 3, the remainder is 1.
And it is actually more generic, because you can also say [itex]10 \equiv 4 \mod 3[/itex], mearning that the remainders of 10 resp. 4 when divided by 3 are the same.

I guess I shouldn't explain the theorems as they are probably out of scope for your current class material.
Still, if you're interested, here goes:

Wiki also states Fermat's little theorem without this notation: "Fermat's little theorem states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, ap − a will be evenly divisible by p. "

101 is a prime, meaning that it is only divisible by 1 and by itself.

Since 101 is a prime, this means that 4101 - 4 divided by 101 has remainder 0.

Thanks for your explanation! :smile:
So if i do it like this, subtract and add 4 to 4101, what i get is this:-
4101-4+4
As you said that 4101-4 is completely divisible by 101, so here +4 is left. Therefore the remainder is 4.
Am i right..?

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks for your explanation! :smile:
So if i do it like this, subtract and add 4 to 4101, what i get is this:-
4101-4+4
As you said that 4101-4 is completely divisible by 101, so here +4 is left. Therefore the remainder is 4.
Am i right..?

Yep! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Yep! :smile:

Thanks!:smile:
I would also like to know where this Fermat's little theorem is applicable. Would you please tell me? :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks!:smile:
I would also like to know where this Fermat's little theorem is applicable. Would you please tell me? :smile:

It's applicable whenever you have a problem with numbers involving remainders and exponentiation! :smile:

Application in real life is typically in cryptography.
It is used (actually the generalization Euler's theorem) in the RSA encryption technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA).
This encryption scheme is used world wide for all secure communication across the internet.

When i checked wikipedia, it isn't stated anywhere that "Fermat's little theorem states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, ap − a will be evenly divisible by p. " Rather it is stated "if p is a prime and a is an integer coprime to p, then ap−1 − 1 will be evenly divisible by p." :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
When i checked wikipedia, it isn't stated anywhere that "Fermat's little theorem states that if p is a prime number, then for any integer a, ap − a will be evenly divisible by p. " Rather it is stated "if p is a prime and a is an integer coprime to p, then ap−1 − 1 will be evenly divisible by p." :confused:

Are you looking at the same page I did?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_little_theorem

What you mention is the alternate form, which is mentioned in the wiki page right after the text I quoted.
I prefer the version I quoted, since it does not put a constraint on "a".
(And I didn't have to explain what "coprime" means.) :smile:

I like Serena said:
Are you looking at the same page I did?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_little_theorem

Yes, i am looking at the same page. When i tried to solve using this statement " if p is a prime and a is an integer coprime to p, then a p−1 − 1 will be evenly divisible by p." then too i got the remainder 4. :smile:

I like Serena said:
What you mention is the alternate form, which is mentioned in the wiki page right after the text I quoted.

Oops! I didn't noticed it! :biggrin:

I like Serena said:
I prefer the version I quoted, since it does not put a constraint on "a".
(And I didn't have to explain what "coprime" means.) :smile:

And yes i know what a coprime is. :biggrin:

Related to What is the remainder when 4101 is divided by 101?

1. What is the concept of "remainder" in mathematics?

In mathematics, the remainder refers to the amount left over after dividing one number by another. For example, when dividing 10 by 3, the remainder would be 1 since 3 can go into 10 three times with 1 left over.

2. How is the remainder calculated in division?

The remainder is calculated by finding the difference between the dividend (the number being divided) and the product of the quotient (the result of division) and divisor (the number being divided by). For example, when dividing 10 by 3, the remainder would be calculated as 10 - (3 x 3) = 1.

3. Can the remainder be a decimal or fraction?

No, the remainder can only be a whole number. When dividing two integers, the remainder can only be another integer. For example, when dividing 9 by 2, the remainder would be 1 and not 0.5.

4. What is the significance of the remainder in division?

The remainder can provide important information about the relationship between two numbers. It can help determine if one number is a multiple of another, and it can also be used to convert fractions to decimals or vice versa.

5. How is the remainder used in real life situations?

The concept of remainder is used in various real life situations, such as dividing a pizza evenly among a group of people, calculating change after a purchase, and determining the number of full boxes needed to pack a certain number of items. It is also used in fields such as engineering, computer science, and finance.