What is the Relationship Between Specific Heats and Other Gas Properties?

In summary: Specific_heat_variations_with_temperatureIn summary, the author is questioning if R=R(t) or if R=c_p-c_v=constant, for all T.R = Cp - Cv is called Mayer's relation.
cmmcnamara
Hey all, I have a question that arose out of some thermodynamics review I'm going over for an upcoming course. It relates to different properties surrounding ideal gases. There are some other various ideas too.

Firstly, I want to talk about specific heat and their relations between other gas properties as this is driving me nuts on some of the variable specific heat problems.

I know that based off experimentation that u=u(t) and h=h(t) so that when we take the partial derivatives of these functions we get:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V=c_v[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial T}\right)_P=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_P=c_p[/tex]

This also shows that the different specific heats are variable with temperature. My book also lists that

[tex]R=c_p-c_v[/tex]

which seems to me that R=R(t).

When I work on problems with variable specific heat I realize that usually the problem requires that tabulated data is used for the cyclic integral of [itex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}[/itex] because it puts the entropy on an absolute scale and allows relative pressure/volume ratios to be used to find other data about the problem. However the problem I'm having with the book is that when solving they don't seem to use a "variable" gas constant? The difference between solutions is usually negligible (1%-5% error) but it is making me wonder:

Is R actually R=R(T)? Or is R actually a constant? That the difference between [itex]c_p[/itex] and [itex]c_v[/itex] is actually always constant? I cannot seem to tell if this is true or not simply based off available tabulated data. I made an excel sheet from tabulated variations in each type of specific heat but the difference for each substance always seemed to be one of two values both within .001 difference between one another. Therefore I can't really tell if R=R(t) where [itex]\frac{dR}{dT}<<1[/itex] or if [itex] R=c_p-c_v=constant[/itex] , [itex]\forall T[/itex].

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships and conversions between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to real-world applications?

Thermodynamics is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat refers to the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. Temperature does not change during a phase change, while heat is required to change the phase of a substance.

5. How do thermodynamic systems reach equilibrium?

Thermodynamic systems tend to reach equilibrium, where all parts of the system have the same temperature and energy distribution, through the transfer of heat and work. This process is governed by the laws of thermodynamics and the properties of the system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.