What is the relationship between reductionism and complexity?

In summary, reductionism is the idea that all scientific phenomena can be explained in terms of physical laws and principles. However, there are varying degrees of reductionist thinking and some argue that there may be more to the world than just the physical. Complexity is the study of whole systems that cannot be reduced to their individual parts, and there is still debate over the definitions of emergence and complexity. Ultimately, the philosophical perspectives on these topics are complex and diverse, and there is no one definitive answer.
Ratzinger
I'm looking for some good definitions/ explanations of the two words reductionism and complexity.

As I once read reductionist say emergent properties and complex behaviour are epistemological issues, necessary conceptualisations to make the world understandable. Any additional non-physical substances and rules that can't be derived from physics are denied. I think all scientists agree more or less on that kind of reducionism/ physicalism.

But I heard there are varying degrees of reductionist thinking. Which are they??

Also, even accepting the reductionism agenda, looking at a biological cell, a sophisticated man-made machine or human societies, you can't shake the feeling there is more to it. It seems there is sort of an own, new reality when certain (complex?) many-body systems form.

That may sound naive, which is mostly due to that I have not seen any satisfying definitions of the terms emergence and complexity yet. Does anyone of you have some good ones?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.meta-library.net/evp-mind/index-frame.html"

You might find this link helpful. She's approching the topic as a philosopher of science, not a theologian but some of the other stuff on the site by other authors might be biased. As you follow along in the lecture she will go on to explain reductive physicalism and non-reductive physicalism...in order to get what she was talking about I had to follow each part of the presentation in order.

You also might want to look at the archives of the "A Place for Conciousness" book discussion, I think there is some posts about causation there, I don't really know, but it might be help you in investigating answers to your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reducibility. Suppose a system made of two parts, [P] and [Q]. If each has effect on other [P] <----> [Q] it can be said that the system is completely whole. Or if one part only effect other [P] ---> [Q], thus a partially whole system. When the system reaches a state where the whole is composed of two independent parts [P] [Q] with no interaction the system is said to be "reduced". From R. Ashby. 1956. An introduction to cybernetics.

Thus,

Complexity = Is the study of ( and reality of ) whole systems that are not reduced.

Rade said:
Reducibility. Suppose a system made of two parts, [P] and [Q]. If each has effect on other [P] <----> [Q] it can be said that the system is completely whole. Or if one part only effect other [P] ---> [Q], thus a partially whole system. When the system reaches a state where the whole is composed of two independent parts [P] [Q] with no interaction the system is said to be "reduced". From R. Ashby. 1956. An introduction to cybernetics.

Thus,

Complexity = Is the study of ( and reality of ) whole systems that are not reduced.

Good to see Ashby quoted. The British school of cybernetics is too much ignored, in my opinion. I would modify your definiton to say that complexity is the study of (what we might call) Ashby-whole systems that never become reduced. Or at least not in the short term during which we observe them (cf. ergodicity).

Related to What is the relationship between reductionism and complexity?

What is reductionism?

Reductionism is a scientific approach that seeks to understand complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. It assumes that by studying the individual parts, we can gain a better understanding of the whole system.

What is the relationship between reductionism and complexity?

Reductionism and complexity are often seen as opposing concepts. While reductionism breaks down complex systems into simpler parts, complexity theory focuses on understanding the emergent properties and behaviors of a system as a whole. However, reductionism can still be a useful tool in studying complex systems.

What are the limitations of reductionism?

Reductionism has its limitations, as it ignores the interactions and relationships between different components of a system. This can lead to an incomplete understanding of how the system functions as a whole. Additionally, some systems may be too complex to be fully understood through reductionist methods.

How has reductionism been applied in scientific research?

Reductionism has been widely used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics. For example, studying the individual components of a cell has led to a better understanding of how the entire organism functions. Reductionist approaches have also been used in medicine to study the effects of drugs on specific biological pathways.

Is reductionism the only way to study complex systems?

No, reductionism is not the only approach to studying complex systems. Other methodologies, such as systems thinking and complexity theory, take a more holistic approach to understanding complex systems. These approaches consider the interactions and relationships between components and aim to understand the emergent properties of a system.