What is the Relationship Between Pressure and Volume in the Ideal Gas Law?

In summary, the ideal gas law states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by PV = NkT, where N is the number of molecules of gas and k is Boltzmann's constant. If we have 10^24 molecules of gas, a starting pressure of 200 kPa, a starting volume of 100 cm^3, and a starting temperature of 400K, we can determine the rate of change of pressure as the volume decreases at a rate of 10 cm^3/s. The rate of change of pressure is 20 kPa/s. Similarly, if the pressure is kept fixed at 200 kPa and the temperature is cooled at a rate of -2K/s,
akbarali
The ideal gas law states that the pressure P, volume V , and temperature T of a gas are related by

PV = NkT

where N is the number of molecules of gas, and k is Bolzmann's constant, about 1.38 10^-23 J/K where J is Joules and K is Kelvins. Say that I have 10^24 molecules of gas. The gas begins at a pressure of 200 kPa, inside a 100 cm^3 container, and at a temperature of 400K.

1. Say that I hold the temperature fixed at 400K and begin to decrease the volume of the container at a rate of 10 cm^3/s. At what rate is the pressure changing?

2. What if instead the pressure is kept fixed at 200 kPa, and the gas is cooled at a rate of -2K/s. At what rate is the volume changing?

6h6kk0.jpg

This is what I've got:

Does this seem correct? Comments? Corrections?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.) I agree with your result for the first part, and here's my working:

I begin with:

\(\displaystyle PV=NkT\)

Since \(\displaystyle NkT\) is constant, differentiating with respect to time $t$ yields:

\(\displaystyle P\frac{dV}{dt}+\frac{dP}{dt}V=0\)

Solving for \(\displaystyle \frac{dP}{dt}\) there results:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dP}{dt}=-\frac{P}{V}\cdot\frac{dV}{dt}\)

Plugging in the given data, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dP}{dt}=-\frac{200\text{ kPa}}{100\text{ cm}^3}\cdot\left(-10\frac{\text{cm}^3}{s} \right)=20\,\frac{\text{kPa}}{\text{s}}\)

2.) I agree with the method for the second part, but I get a result 1000 times greater:

I begin with:

\(\displaystyle PV=NkT\)

Here $V$ and $T$ are the only changing quantities, so differentiating with respect to time $t$ yields:

\(\displaystyle P\frac{dV}{dt}=Nk\frac{dT}{dt}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{Nk}{P}\cdot\frac{dT}{dt}\)

Plugging in the given data, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{10^{24}\cdot1.38\times10^{-23}\,\frac{\text{J}}{\text{K}}}{200\text{ kPa}}\left(-2\,\frac{\text{K}}{\text{s}} \right)=-138\,\frac{\text{cm}^3}{\text{s}}\)

My answer is 1000 times greater because the standard unit of length in the SI units is the meter (making it $10^6$ greater), and we have kiloPascals reducing it by $10^3$ for a net gain of $10^3$ over your result.

Wow, I did not think to see that. Doh! I'm always missing something! Thankfully, sharp people like yourself can point me in the right direction, hehe.

Related to What is the Relationship Between Pressure and Volume in the Ideal Gas Law?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation used in physics and chemistry to describe the behavior of an ideal gas. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas in a closed system.

2. What are the variables in the Ideal Gas Law equation?

The variables in the Ideal Gas Law equation are pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n). These variables are related by the equation PV = nRT, where R is the universal gas constant.

3. What are the units for each variable in the Ideal Gas Law equation?

The units for pressure are typically expressed in units of atmospheres (atm) or Pascals (Pa). Volume is usually measured in liters (L) or cubic meters (m^3). Temperature can be measured in Kelvin (K) or degrees Celsius (°C). The number of moles is a dimensionless quantity.

4. What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is significant because it provides a basic framework for understanding the behavior of gases in a wide range of conditions. It is also a useful tool for calculating and predicting the behavior of gases in various situations, such as in chemical reactions or industrial processes.

5. What are the limitations of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is based on a set of assumptions about the behavior of gases, such as that they have no volume and there are no intermolecular forces between gas particles. In reality, these assumptions are not always true and can lead to inaccuracies in the predictions made by the Ideal Gas Law. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law is only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases under certain conditions.