What is the relationship between matter and spacetime curvature?

• Thread starter Philos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: Not a physicist, just a "lay" thinker.In summary, the concept of space-time curvature around matter is a result of the interaction of all the lines of force from each mass body in the universe. When in freefall, one may not feel the effect of this curvature until reaching the surface of a massive object.
Philos
I have a few questions and I hope they can be answered here.

1. Does a perfect black body gain mass?

2. Does matter implode local space-time or does space-time curve around matter or are both of these assumptions wrong? If wrong what process happens?

3. Does increasing the energy state of a particle also increase its mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Philos --

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Philos said:
It depends on the radiation in its environment.

Philos said:
2. Does matter implode local space-time or does space-time curve around matter or are both of these assumptions wrong? If wrong what process happens?
There's no way to answer this unless it's phrased in more exact language.

Philos said:
This depends on your precise definition of mass.

Your questions aren't sufficiently well defined to be answerable. If you tell us your background in math and physics, we might be able to help you get unstuck from the stage where you're currently stuck: not succeeding in formulating good questions.

Philos said:
If the energy density in its surrounding environment is less than the power it radiates, yes. Otherwise no, it will radiate energy and lose mass.

Philos said:
I'm not really sure what your asking but it sounds like an interpretation issue. If your asking what I think your asking, nobody knows. Its like asking how a charge generates E&M fields, or if the E&M fields are what generate charges. The equations governing the theory don't specify and there is no way to really know (unless the theory is wrong).

Philos said:
If its localized energy yes. For example, exciting an electron in an atom will increase the mass of the atom. However, kicking a free electron to speed it up will not increase its rest mass (it will increase its relativistic mass but I don't like using that term)

Philos said:
I have a few questions and I hope they can be answered here.

I'm responding to #2. If spacetime curvature is imagined as lines of force, they do NOT curve around matter, but rather link directly to/from the center of each and every mass body in the universe (from quanta to planets and suns). The "curving" aspect comes from the interaction of all those local lines from each mass. The Earth has its spacetime "curvature" and I have mine. In freefall, I would feel wightless as I rushed toward Earth (and she nudged toward me). When I got to the surface, I would suddenly "feel" the force of that Earth's spacetime curvature because Earth's surface would stop my natural motion before I reached her CENTER of gravity.

Or that's my take on it.

Related to What is the relationship between matter and spacetime curvature?

1. What is the role of a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the natural laws and properties of matter, energy, and the universe. Their work involves using mathematical models and experiments to understand and explain the fundamental principles that govern our world.

2. What are the main areas of study in physics?

There are many branches of physics, but the main areas of study include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These areas cover a wide range of topics, from the behavior of particles at a subatomic level to the motion of planets in our solar system.

3. What is the scientific method and how is it used in physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems and answering questions through observation, experimentation, and analysis. In physics, scientists use this method to formulate hypotheses, design experiments, and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including technology, engineering, medicine, and environmental science. For example, the principles of electromagnetism are used in the development of electronics, while the laws of thermodynamics are essential for understanding and improving energy efficiency.

5. How does physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Physics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe at both the smallest and largest scales. By studying the behavior of particles, physicists can gain insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter. At the same time, physics also helps us understand the laws that govern the behavior of celestial bodies and the vastness of the universe.