Exploring Spacetime Interval at a Singularity: Tad Williams' Otherland

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and time in relation to a black hole, specifically the idea that space and time "flip" at the event horizon. However, it is clarified that this is a misconception and that the singularity is a moment in time rather than a location in space. The conversation also touches on the use of coordinates and how they can be misleading in understanding the physics of black holes.
Grasshopper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to better understand the “flipping” of roles of space and time in a black hole.
Tad Williams’ Otherland series has a scene where the characters are drawn to a temple no matter which direction they try to walk, as if space itself is curved.

This is kind of the intuition I get when a physicist talks about the spacetime interval kind of flipping past an event horizon: if you try to flee the singularity, you just end up moving closer to it. This happens no matter what you do. No matter which direction you go, your future destination is the singularity. It’s as if you can ultimately only travel in one direction through space, just like in normal spacetime there is only on direction to travel through in time (to the future).

Is that a fair intuition? If it is, would it also apply to radial motion perpendicular to the gravitstional field lines of the singularity? (if such things have meaning in this situation)

And if that’s right, since the role of time is kind of flipped, does that mean you can move through the local past and future at will? Or is it something more mundane like, if you look “up” (away from the singularity) you see how the universe used to be, but if you look towards the singularity, you see how the universe will be in the future?

Any insight at any level is welcome. I put intermediate for the level, but math for a Schwartzchild black hole is fair game for me. Along with various spacetime diagrams like Penrose diagrams. I may not understand it but it still has value to me.

Thanks as always.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grasshopper said:
Trying to better understand the “flipping” of roles of space and time in a black hole.

Short answer: there is no such thing.

For longer answers, see below.

Grasshopper said:
This is kind of the intuition I get when a physicist talks about the spacetime interval kind of flipping past an event horizon

There is no such thing. The interval along your worldline is timelike above, at, and below the horizon. And you can set up a local inertial frame that looks just like an SR inertial frame in any small patch of spacetime centered anywhere on your worldline. Nothing about this changes at or below the horizon.

What scientists in pop science contexts are talking about when they talk about "space and time flipping" below the horizon, or statements along those lines, is a purely coordinate effect that only happens in one particular set of coordinates. It has nothing to do with physics. And if you look at actual textbooks and peer-reviewed papers, instead of pop science sources, you will see no such claims.

Grasshopper said:
No matter which direction you go, your future destination is the singularity.

Yes, that's because the singularity is not a place in space; it's a moment of time, which is in your future. You can't avoid it because you can't avoid your future. It's no different from "no matter which direction you go, your future destination is tomorrow".

Grasshopper said:
It’s as if you can ultimately only travel in one direction through space

Nope. Space is 3-dimensional inside the horizon just like it is outside, and you can travel in any spatial direction you like. It's no different from being able to travel in any spatial direction you like here on Earth while still not being able to avoid tomorrow.

Grasshopper said:
Is that a fair intuition?

No. See above.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and Dale
There's no "flipping". That's pop sci nonsense. What is true is that the ##tt## component of the metric in interior Schwarzschild coordinates happens to have the same form as the ##rr## component in exterior Schwarzschild coordinates, and vice versa. That's just an artefact of the coordinates.

My favourite visualisation is the Kruskal diagram. The version on Wikipedia (drawn by DrGreg) includes lines of constant Schwarzschild ##r## and ##t##, and shows how they fail at the horizon. You can also immediately see why you can't escape - because the event horizon is the future lightcone of an event in your causal past once you enter.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
@Grasshopper This paper https://arxiv.org/abs/0804.3619 discusses why the “flipping“ is a misstatement of what’s going on, provides much good background on Kruskal coordinates, and addresses a few other common misconceptions.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK, Ibix and 2 others
Thank you for clarifying that. What I am gathering here based on these replies is the only thing that even comes close to the pop science claim is that the singularity is a moment rather only than a location. “It is in your future,” as PeterDonis put it.

I was previously under the impression that the sign signature of the spacetime interval flipped however, but I suppose that is also mistaken (and even if it’s not, that’s just a convention anyway, right?).

Grasshopper said:
I was previously under the impression that the sign signature of the spacetime interval flipped however, but I suppose that is also mistaken (and even if it’s not, that’s just a convention anyway, right?).
Yes, Schwarzschild coordinates have a coordinate singularity at ##r = 2M##, the event horizon. Essentially, therefore, you have two solutions: one for ##r > 2M## and one for ##r < 2M##. For the latter, ##r## is a timelike coordinate. You could argue that perhaps we should change the coordinate labels in the case of ##r < 2M##.

Although other coordinate systems have no singularity at the event horizon, the nature of a black hole below the event horizon is fundamentally different from anything that we find in classical physics.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Yes, Schwarzschild coordinates have a coordinate singularity at ##r = 2M##, the event horizon. Essentially, therefore, you have two solutions: one for ##r > 2M## and one for ##r < 2M##. For the latter, ##r## is a timelike coordinate. You could argue that perhaps we should change the coordinate labels in the case of ##r < 2M##.

Although other coordinate systems have no singularity at the event horizon, the nature of a black hole below the event horizon is fundamentally different from anything that we find in classical physics.
But these things are mere coordinate dependent things, correct?

Likes vanhees71
Grasshopper said:
But these things are mere coordinate dependent things, correct?
The event horizon is a null surface that defines a one-way causal structure that splits spacetime into two regions: events inside the horizon and events outside the horizon. That's not a coordinate effect.

The singularity at ##r = 0## itself is a physical (not a coordinate) singularity.

You can't remove either of these things by a change of coordinates.

Likes vanhees71
Ah, well, my question has been answered, so digging further here is unlikely to be productive for me given that I have more basic math to learn. Thanks for the replies as always.

PeroK said:
You could argue that perhaps we should change the coordinate labels in the case of ##r\lt 2m##.
That’s what the Krasnikov paper linked above does.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space and time where the laws of physics break down and become infinite. It is often associated with black holes, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

2. What is the Otherland series by Tad Williams?

The Otherland series is a science fiction novel series written by Tad Williams. It follows a group of characters who become trapped in a virtual reality world called Otherland, where they must navigate through different simulations and uncover the mystery behind the creator of Otherland.

3. How does the concept of spacetime interval relate to the Otherland series?

In the Otherland series, the characters use advanced technology to explore different simulations and travel through time and space. The concept of spacetime interval is important in understanding how these simulations and travel are possible, as it measures the distance between two events in spacetime.

4. How does Tad Williams depict the exploration of spacetime interval at a singularity in the Otherland series?

Tad Williams uses a combination of advanced technology and scientific theories to depict the exploration of spacetime interval at a singularity in the Otherland series. The characters use virtual reality technology to experience different simulations and travel through time and space, while also encountering the effects of a singularity on the laws of physics.

5. What can we learn about the concept of spacetime interval from Tad Williams' Otherland series?

The Otherland series offers a thought-provoking exploration of the concept of spacetime interval and its implications for time travel, virtual reality, and the laws of physics. It challenges readers to consider the limits of human understanding and the possibilities of technology in exploring the mysteries of the universe.