What is the Relationship Between Force Magnitude and Length in a Scale?

In summary, the discussion focused on the concept of force as a vector, which has both magnitude and direction. The solution presented was a graphical method, where the magnitude of the force is scaled to a unit length, and its direction is represented using angles with respect to a frame of reference. The shorter the length, the smaller the force, as it is scaled down on a graph. The scale used is determined by convenience and does not affect the overall concept.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

In this notes , I was told that the f2 is min when the length is the shrtest ( when f2 is prependicular to fr ... why ? Is the length represent the magnitude of the force ? the shorter the length , the smaller is the force ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_173546[1].jpg
    IMG_20150910_173546[1].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

In this notes , I was told that the f2 is min when the length is the shrtest ( when f2 is prependicular to fr ... why ? Is the length represent the magnitude of the force ? the shorter the length , the smaller is the force ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You know reading scaled drawings?
Force actually is a vector. Vector means any physical quantities having magnitude and direction. The solution in the picture you posted is actually a graphical method.
It is the quantification of force scaled to a unit length that corresponds the magnitude of force, and its direction using angles with respect to a frame of reference.
The graphical method is just like drawing a Parallelogram. Head to tail connection of acting forces with the angles of their respective orientation. The resultant Force or the net force is just the line drawn from the tail of the origin(where the first force is drawn) to the head of the last force, which you might as well measure the angle of its orientation by using a protractor.

Last edited:
Legolaz said:
You know reading scaled drawings?
Force actually is a vector. Vector means any physical quantities having magnitude and direction. The solution in the picture you posted is actually a graphical method.
It is the quantification of force scaled to a unit length that corresponds the magnitude of force, and its direction using angles with respect to a frame of reference.
The graphical method is just like drawing a Parallelogram. Head to tail connection of acting forces with the angles of their respective orientation. The resultant Force or the net force is just the line drawn from the tail of the origin(where the first force is drawn) to the head of the last force.
The shorter the length, the smaller is the force?

Yap, it's in a scale my dear. Say, 10 N force, when I have to plot it on the paper, I'd make it as 10 mm length, that is if my scale is 1N/mm. This is for the reason that I can easily accommodate it inside the paper size.

You decide on the scale, whichever is convenient for you. You could either use 1N/inch or 1 N/cm. It depends on what you like.

Likes goldfish9776

Related to What is the Relationship Between Force Magnitude and Length in a Scale?

What is the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force refers to the strength or intensity of a force. It is a measure of how much force is being applied to an object.

What is the length of a force?

The length of a force refers to the distance over which the force is applied. It is a measure of how far the object being acted upon is moved by the force.

How are magnitude of force and length related?

The magnitude of force and length are directly proportional. This means that as the magnitude of force increases, the length over which it is applied also increases.

What units are used to measure magnitude of force and length?

The magnitude of force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) while length is measured in meters (m). However, other units such as pounds (lb) and feet (ft) may also be used.

Why is it important to understand the relationship between magnitude of force and length?

Understanding the relationship between magnitude of force and length is important in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict the effects of different forces on objects and design structures that can withstand these forces.