Solve F2 Components & Find Magnitudes U & V Axes

In summary: You get the idea. In summary, the student attempted to solve for the magnitude of F2 along the V axis using trigonometry but ran into problems. They found that the angle between F2 and v is 75 degrees and that term 2 of the homework equation is incorrect.
Kaura

Homework Statement

Resolve F2 into components along the u and v axes and determine the magnitudes of these components. Note that the magnitudes are positive numbers.

Probs.2-16_17.jpg

Homework Equations

Basic Trigonometrics

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly calculated 150cos(150)N or 130N as the positive magnitude for F2 along the U axis however I cannot figure out what it is along the V axis.
I tried 150sin(150)N or 75N at first and got it wrong. Then I realized that the axis are not orthogonal so I corrected for that and got 150cos(75)N or 38.8N but that is also counted as wrong.
I am mildly annoyed since this is basic stuff so I am assuming I am just missing something obvious. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the angle between u and v axes. You also know the angle between F2 and u.
So what is the angle between F2 and v?

I thought it was 75 degrees (105-30) is that not right?

Kaura said:
I thought it was 75 degrees (105-30) is that not right?
That's the angle between u and v. But what's the angle between F2 and v?

I thought the angle between u and v was 105 and then you subtract 30 to get 75 for the angle between F2 and v

Kaura said:
I thought the angle between u and v was 105 and then you subtract 30 to get 75 for the angle between F2 and v
Careful. The angle between +u and v is 75. But what's the angle between -u and v?

105 right? I am confused

I would represent each force by $$\mathbf{F}=F_u\mathbf{i_u}+F_v\mathbf{i_v}$$ where the i's are unit vectors in the u and v directions. Then I would dot the equation with each of the unit vectors in turn to obtain two equations in two unknowns for ##F_u## and ##F_v##.

Kaura said:
105 right? I am confused
That's correct. And you were also correct before (I wasn't paying attention!): The angle between F2 and v is 75. (Sorry about that! :sorry:)

But you used the wrong trig function in finding the component along v.

I thought I tried both cos and sin

Kaura said:
Then I realized that the axis are not orthogonal so I corrected for that and got 150cos(75)N or 38.8N but that is also counted as wrong.
I would say that this answer is correct. (And I should have read your first response more carefully.)

Is this from a textbook?

It is an online assignment
These are the answers I submitted and it seems to say that term 2 is incorrect but I have no idea why

Submitted Answers
ANSWER 1: Deduction: -5%
(F2)u, (F2)v =
N
Term 2: Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures.
ANSWER 2: Deduction: -5%
(F2)u, (F2)v =
N
Term 2: Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures.
ANSWER 3: Deduction: -5%
(F2)u, (F2)v =
N
ANSWER 4: Deduction: -5%
(F2)u, (F2)v =
N

Kaura said:
ANSWER 4: Deduction: -5%
(F2)u, (F2)v =
N
If they claim that is wrong they are busting your chops over significant figures. F2 is only given to 2 sig figs, so round your answers accordingly.

I should also mention that the problem states to use 3 significant figures
"Express your answers using three significant figures separated by a comma."

Kaura said:
I should also mention that the problem states to use 3 significant figures
"Express your answers using three significant figures separated by a comma."
Interesting. Did you get feedback on that answer like the others?

No, which is weird

Although not quite correct, I would have put 130,38.8 (leaving out the decimal in the first number). (But this system clearly has problems.)

(By the time you "guess" what they want you'll be down to no points anyway.)

It was 77.6 I have no clue why but sadly I missed this one. Would be nice if homeworks had more than 1 problem per.

I get lowest four dropped though so no worries I guess. I just wish the problem had made more sense.

I actually have yet to understand why it is 77.6 N and if anyone can offer insight why I would be quite pleased, cheers!

Kaura said:
I actually have yet to understand why it is 77.6 N and if anyone can offer insight why I would be quite pleased, cheers!
I'd say it's just wrong.

If that is the case then I will have a good laugh because this question seems so absurd.

Kaura said:

Let's see. We have:
force_components.png

From the sine rule it follows that:
$$\frac{F_u}{\sin 75^\circ} = \frac{F_2}{\sin 75^\circ}$$
$$\frac{F_v}{\sin 30^\circ} = \frac{F_2}{\sin 75^\circ}$$
With ##F_2=150\text{ N}## we get that ##F_u = 150\text{ N}## and ##F_v = 77.6 \text{ N}##.

I like Serena said:
Let's see. We have:
View attachment 209325
Interesting, but I'm not sure what Fu and Fv correspond to in your diagram.

Doc Al said:
Interesting, but I'm not sure what Fu and Fv correspond to in your diagram.

The problem statement says: 'Resolve F2 into components along the u and v axes and determine the magnitudes of these components.'
Fu and Fv are the magnitudes of the components of F2 along the u and v axes.

I like Serena said:
The problem statement says: 'Resolve F2 into components along the u and v axes and determine the magnitudes of these components.'
Fu and Fv are the magnitudes of the components of F2 along the u and v axes.
How can the component of F2 along u equal F2 itself?

And the angle that F2 makes with the vertical is 75°, so Fv = F2 cos(75°). (What you have labeled Fv in your diagram is not the vertical component of F2.)

Doc Al said:
How can the component of F2 along u equal F2 itself?

We can also write:
$$\mathbf F_2 = \mathbf F_{2,u} + \mathbf F_{2,v} = F_{2,u} \mathbf{\hat u} + F_{2,v} \mathbf{\hat v}$$
where ##\mathbf{\hat u}## and ##\mathbf{\hat v}## are the unit vectors along the u and v axes.
After which we have ##F_u = |F_{2,u}|## and ##F_v = |F_{2,v}|##.

We can have a component of F2 along u equal F2 since u and v do not form an orthogonal basis.
The vector decomposition is effectively shown in the diagram.

Doc Al said:
And the angle that F2 makes with the vertical is 75°, so Fv = F2 cos(75°). (What you have labeled Fv in your diagram is not the vertical component of F2.)

That would only be the case if we had an orthogonal basis (which is admittedly usually the case but not here).

I like Serena said:
We can have a component of F2 along u equal F2 since u and v do not form an orthogonal basis.
The component of F2 along u can equal F2 only if F2 is parallel to u. That's not the case here.

Interesting. I was not viewing u and v as a non-orthogonal basis, but as simply two unrelated axes/directions. You are probably correct in your interpretation!

Likes I like Serena
Doc Al said:
Interesting. I was not viewing u and v as a non-orthogonal basis, but as simply two unrelated axes/directions. You are probably correct in your interpretation!

When seen in the standard orthonormal basis, consider that we have to solve:
$$\binom{150\cos(165^\circ)}{150\sin(165^\circ)} = \mathbf F_2 = F_{2,u} \mathbf{\hat u} + F_{2,v} \mathbf{\hat v}
= F_{2,u} \binom{\cos(15^\circ)}{\sin(15^\circ)} + F_{2,v} \binom{0}{1}$$

Related to Solve F2 Components & Find Magnitudes U & V Axes

1. What is the purpose of solving F2 components and finding magnitudes on U and V axes?

The purpose of solving F2 components and finding magnitudes on U and V axes is to analyze and understand the forces acting on an object in a two-dimensional plane. This can help in determining the overall motion and equilibrium of the object.

2. How do you solve for F2 components and find magnitudes on U and V axes?

To solve for F2 components and find magnitudes on U and V axes, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. First, draw a diagram of the forces acting on the object and label the angles and known values. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric function to calculate the magnitude of the force in the U and V directions.

3. What are U and V axes in this context?

In this context, U and V axes refer to the two perpendicular axes used to represent the components of a force in a two-dimensional plane. U is typically the horizontal axis and V is the vertical axis.

4. Why is it important to find the magnitudes of forces on U and V axes?

It is important to find the magnitudes of forces on U and V axes because it allows us to break down a complex force into its individual components. This can help in understanding the overall forces acting on an object and predicting its motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving F2 components and finding magnitudes on U and V axes?

Solving F2 components and finding magnitudes on U and V axes has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and mechanics. For example, it can be used to analyze the forces acting on a bridge or a building, or to understand the motion of a projectile in physics experiments.