What is the reason for using aluminium foil to wrap the food items?

In summary, aluminium is a good conductor of heat, but still it is used so that food remains warm. Its advantages include that it is resistant to any amount of heat, seals well and does not puncture easily.
Garvi
aluminium is a good conductor of heat, but still it is used so that food remains warm. what is the reason behind it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good conductor but a very poor radiator and absorber (the two go together) - because it is shiny. The inner surface, where not actually in contact, will not absorb radiated heat well and the outer surface will not radiate heat well. Hence the food will not lose much heat.

It is also cheap to produce in suitable sheet form.

Aluminium foil has smooth shiny surface. Due to which it reflects back the heat raditations emitted by the food stuffs upon them. Hence food remainr warm for longer time.

Also i think in this case, reflection through its surface is very higher than conductance.

Aluminium foil has smooth shiny surface. Due to which it reflects back the heat raditations emitted by the food stuffs upon them. Hence food remains warm for longer time.

Also i think in this case, reflection through its surface is very higher than conductance.

I use aluminum foil as a matter of convenience. When roasting poultry or poultry parts, I cover the pan with foil to keep the juices contained. The meats produce enough steam to cook themselves. Then, when the meat is cooked through, I pull off the foil "tent" and set it aside as the meats go back in the oven to brown. After serving the food, leftovers can be wrapped in the foil for later use. If the extra meat is to be frozen, I usually use a bit of poly-wrap, and then seal that in the left-over foil. When the aluminum foil has served several purposes, it ends up in the metal recycle bin.

Probably because Reynolds and Alcoa use a lot of TV advertising.

More seriously: it is resistant to any amount of heat, seals well and does not puncture easily. I think the thermal properties are a lesser factor in explaining its ubiquitous use.

Manis said:
Aluminium foil has smooth shiny surface. Due to which it reflects back the heat raditations emitted by the food stuffs upon them. Hence food remainr warm for longer time.

In common with millions of other people, you are ignoring the low emissivity of the outside surface, which is just as important as the "reflecting the heat back' on the inside. If you had a matt black outer surface, the food would cool much faster.

But Rude Man is absolutely correct in pointing out its other advantages over other food covering material. Once the oxide layer has formed on the surface of aluminium, it is pretty well non reactive to foodstuff. However, hot juices from fruit etc. can visibly etch it and that means some Al can get into your system. Remember the hassle about Aluminium cookware and Alzimer's a few years ago? (I have forgotten it already.)

Related to What is the reason for using aluminium foil to wrap the food items?

1. What makes aluminium foil a popular choice for wrapping food items?

Aluminium foil is popular for wrapping food items because it is a lightweight, durable, and flexible material that can easily conform to the shape of the food. It also has the ability to withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for use in cooking and storing food.

2. Is aluminium foil safe for food contact?

Yes, aluminium foil is safe for food contact. It is non-toxic and does not release any harmful chemicals when in contact with food. However, it is important to avoid using aluminium foil for cooking acidic or salty foods, as these can cause the metal to leach into the food.

3. What are the benefits of using aluminium foil for wrapping food items?

Using aluminium foil for wrapping food items helps to keep the food fresh and prevents it from drying out. It also helps to protect the food from light, moisture, and bacteria. Additionally, aluminium foil is a cost-effective option for food storage and can be easily recycled.

4. Can aluminium foil be used for both hot and cold food items?

Yes, aluminium foil can be used for both hot and cold food items. It is a good insulator and can help to keep hot food hot and cold food cold. However, make sure to use a thicker foil for hot food items to avoid any potential melting or burning.

5. How should I properly wrap food items with aluminium foil?

To properly wrap food items with aluminium foil, make sure to cover the entire surface of the food to prevent any air from getting in. Fold the edges of the foil tightly to create a seal. If storing in the refrigerator, make sure to label the foil with the date and contents for easy identification.