Would aluminium foil increase copper tubing insulation?

• I
  • Thread starter LEx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
LEx
TL;DR Summary
aluminium foil, heat retention, reflection, insulation
Hi!

My cupper tubing from the heat pump via boiler room is not insulated. That makes it inefficient, because boiler room is unnecessary heated. I am looking at way to increase insulation and reduce heat loss. I already bought standard foam based tubing insulation. I hiked a lot and first aid kit consists of survival blanket. I think it is silver aluminium based one and it works. It does reflect body heat back and as I tested it it gets warm.

I am curious if I can apply cheap DIY kitchen aluminium foil to the cupper tubing. Would that reflect the heat back and reduce the losses? One way is to place the foil directly on the tubes and another to wrap it on the outside foam based insulation, so there is no direct contact with the tubes. What would be better method if it is worth it? I read that aluminium is also conductor, so it would not be good to place it directly on the tubes. I looked at some other commercial tube insulation materials and they have the foil on the outside out. I would expect the silver part to be turned inside, to keep the heat in, not outside.

Thank you for your opinion, you probably have way more physics knowledge than I.

IMG_20240117_204625.jpg
IMG_20240117_204659.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
LEx said:
TL;DR Summary: aluminium foil, heat retention, reflection, insulation

I looked at some other commercial tube insulation materials and they have the foil on the outside out. I would expect the silver part to be turned inside, to keep the heat in, not outside.
It makes no thermal difference, if the foil is in or out. The foil reflects heat with the same efficiency either direction.

If the foil is out, it protects the foam from external moisture condensation that could reduce the foam thermal insulation properties.

Keep different metals apart, so there is no electrochemically assisted corrosion.

Likes Astronuc

1. Does wrapping aluminum foil around copper tubing improve its insulation properties?

No, wrapping aluminum foil around copper tubing does not significantly improve its insulation properties. Aluminum foil is not an effective insulator for heat; it primarily acts as a reflector of radiant heat and a conductor of thermal energy.

2. What is the main function of aluminum foil when used with copper tubing?

The main function of aluminum foil when used with copper tubing is to reflect radiant heat away from the tubing. This can help prevent external heat sources from increasing the temperature of the fluid inside the tubing, but it does not significantly insulate against heat loss or gain through conduction or convection.

3. Are there better alternatives to aluminum foil for insulating copper tubing?

Yes, there are better alternatives for insulating copper tubing, such as foam insulation sleeves or fiberglass wraps. These materials are designed specifically to reduce heat transfer through conduction and convection, making them more effective for insulation purposes than aluminum foil.

4. Can aluminum foil be used in combination with other materials to insulate copper tubing?

Yes, aluminum foil can be used in combination with other insulating materials, such as foam or fiberglass wraps, to enhance the insulation of copper tubing. The foil can act as a barrier to radiant heat, while the other materials provide insulation against conduction and convection heat transfer.

5. What should be considered when choosing insulation for copper tubing?

When choosing insulation for copper tubing, consider the thermal conductivity of the insulating material, the environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity), the specific heat requirements of the system, and the physical space available for applying the insulation. It is also important to consider the durability and moisture resistance of the insulation material to ensure long-term effectiveness.