What is the ranking of functional groups by boiling point in 5-carbon compounds?

In summary, boiling point is the temperature at which a liquid changes into its gaseous state due to the equalization of vapor pressure and atmospheric pressure. It is determined by the strength of intermolecular forces and can vary among different substances due to their molecular structures. Boiling point can change depending on external factors and is significant in various everyday and industrial processes.
AdnamaLeigh
Assuming each of these functional groups were found in compounds containing only 5 carbon atoms, rank them in order from lowest to highest boiling point.

I don't know where ester, ketone, and ether fit in. I know that it all has to do with intermolecular forces, but I'm stumped since the last three only have dipole-dipole.

Edit: I take back about what I said about amides and alcohols earlier.

alcohols < amides

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well to be exact, you should refer to your text, or an internet resource, unless they specifically ask you do explain your proposal.l

< esters < ketones < ethers

The ranking of functional groups by boiling point in 5-carbon compounds would be:

1. Ethers - Ethers have the lowest boiling point among the given functional groups due to their relatively weak dipole-dipole interactions.

2. Ketones - Ketones have a slightly higher boiling point than ethers due to the presence of a carbonyl group, which increases the dipole-dipole interactions.

3. Esters - Esters have a higher boiling point than ketones due to the presence of an additional oxygen atom, which increases the dipole-dipole interactions.

4. Amides - Amides have a higher boiling point than esters due to the presence of a nitrogen atom, which can participate in hydrogen bonding with other amides.

5. Alcohols - Alcohols have the highest boiling point among the given functional groups due to the presence of a hydroxyl group, which can participate in strong hydrogen bonding with other alcohols.

Related to What is the ranking of functional groups by boiling point in 5-carbon compounds?

What is boiling point?

Boiling point is the temperature at which a liquid changes into its gaseous state. It is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the atmospheric pressure.

How is boiling point determined?

Boiling point is determined by the strength of intermolecular forces between the molecules of a liquid. The stronger the intermolecular forces, the higher the boiling point.

Why do different substances have different boiling points?

Different substances have different boiling points because they have different molecular structures and varying strengths of intermolecular forces. These factors influence the attraction between molecules, which ultimately determines the boiling point.

Can boiling point change?

Yes, boiling point can change depending on external factors such as altitude, pressure, and the presence of solutes. These factors can alter the vapor pressure of a liquid, which affects its boiling point.

What is the significance of boiling point in everyday life?

Boiling point is important in everyday life as it affects the cooking process, distillation of liquids, and the functioning of various household appliances such as kettles and pressure cookers. It is also used in industrial processes such as refining and chemical synthesis.