Esters' high boiling point

In summary, the boiling point of 3-methylbutyl ethanoate is higher than that of 3-methylbutan-1-ol and ethanoic acid due to its larger molar mass and higher density, as well as stronger induced dipole-induced dipole forces. This is despite the fact that intermolecular forces of attraction are stronger in alcohol and carboxylic acid molecules. Other factors such as the ability to make hydrogen bonds do not solely determine the boiling point. Additionally, comparisons with other simple compounds with similar heavy atom count also support the trend of higher boiling points for esters compared to alcohols and acids.
Shyanne
You have to show your attempts at answering the question, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
Why does 3-methylbutyl ethanoate have a higher boiling point than 3-methylbutan-1-ol and ethanoic acid?

Attempt at a solution: I know that the ester has a marginally greater molar mass but I wasn't sure if this is the only deciding factor, particularly considering the strength of the other interaction forces between alcohol and carboxylic acid molecules.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you the exact answer because of the rules but I can tell you this...it has something to do with intermolecular forces of attraction and this link may help you.

Zypheros_Knight said:
I can't give you the exact answer because of the rules but I can tell you this...it has something to do with intermolecular forces of attraction and this link may help you.
I understand that intermolecular forces of attraction are stronger in alcohol and carboxylic acid but it doesn't make sense then that the ester would have a higher boiling point?

Shyanne said:
I understand that intermolecular forces of attraction are stronger in alcohol and carboxylic acid but it doesn't make sense then that the ester would have a higher boiling point?
The intermolecular forces do not depend entirely on the ability of a molecule to make hydrogen bonds.

Zypheros_Knight said:
The intermolecular forces do not depend entirely on the ability of a molecule to make hydrogen bonds.
So would I be correct in saying that the ester's boiling point is slightly higher due to its larger molar mass?

Shyanne said:
So would I be correct in saying that the ester's boiling point is slightly higher due to its larger molar mass?
Yes :)...and remember this 3-methylbutyl ethanoate has a higher density than both ethanoic acid and 3-methylbutyl-1-ol, thus it is easy to say it will have a higher b.p cause of that and beacuse the induced dipole-induced dipole forces are greater.

Hm... let´s compare various simple compounds with 6 heavy atoms.
Hexane, C6H14: n-hexane 69 degrees, isomers less, down to neohexane, 50 degrees.
Pentanols, C5OH12: 1-pentanol 138 degrees, isomers less, down to tertiary pentanol, 102 degrees.
Ethers C5OH12: methyl tert-buthyl ether 55 degrees
Aldehydes C5OH10: n-pentanal 102 degrees
Ketones C5OH10: 2-pentanone 102 degrees, 3-methyl-2-butanone 92 degrees, 3-pentanone 101 degrees
Acids C4O2H8: n-butyric acid 164 degrees, isobutyric acid 155 degrees
Esters C4O2H8: ethyl acetate 77 degrees

1. What is the boiling point of esters?

The boiling point of esters can vary depending on their chemical structure, but generally falls between 100-250°C.

2. Why do esters have a high boiling point?

Esters have a high boiling point due to their strong intermolecular forces, specifically hydrogen bonding and dipole-dipole interactions.

3. How does the length of the carbon chain affect the boiling point of esters?

The longer the carbon chain in an ester, the higher its boiling point. This is because longer carbon chains have a greater surface area, allowing for more van der Waals forces to occur between molecules.

4. Do all esters have the same boiling point?

No, the boiling point of esters can vary depending on their chemical structure and functional groups. For example, an ester with a larger and more polar functional group may have a higher boiling point than one with a smaller and less polar functional group.

5. How does temperature affect the boiling point of esters?

As with most liquids, the boiling point of esters increases with an increase in temperature. This is due to the increased kinetic energy of the molecules, allowing them to overcome intermolecular forces and transition to the gas phase.