What is the ranking of forces in a problem on ranking forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ranking forces in a scenario involving two blocks (A and B) moving at a constant velocity. The relevant equations are listed, including the equation for net force in the vertical direction. It is mentioned that the pushing force on block A is greater than its weight, and the weight of block A is greater than that of block B. The static frictional forces between the blocks are equal according to Newton's third law. There is also a mention of a normal force acting on block B from block A. However, the focus is on correctly determining the force balance equations rather than ranking the forces.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

APR1.PNG

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

( i have put numerous different forces into the answer box and nothing worked. i was just taking a screenshot of problem here)
Edit: never mind about kinetic friction with wall i just saw that there is no friction with wall.
[/B]
netforceavertical = Fpah - mg - fstatic = 0
netforcebvertical = Fpba - mg - fstatic = 0
acceleration is equal to 0 for both boxes and velocity upwards so the pushing force is greater than mg, mg for box A is greater than mg for box B , not sure where the frictional forces between boxes would rank here but i know they would be equal from Newtons third law since both boxes are accelerating upwards at constant speed. the static frictional force between the two boxes are equivalent. There will also be a kinetic frictional force between the box B and the wall which would be negative so i think that would rank after the static frictional forces between the boxes. not sure if i am doing this correct

Attachments

• APR1.PNG
    APR1.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 949
Physics news on Phys.org
APR12.PNG
Force between hand and A and A and B is equal since both moving up at constant velocity, this beats gravity forces and since A has more mass than B the FGAE>FGBE and these gravitational forces id imagine are greater than the equivalent static frictional forces between the two boxes?

Attachments

• APR12.PNG
    APR12.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 397
isukatphysics69 said:
Force between hand and A and A and B is equal since both moving up at constant velocity
I see no logic to that.
Consider the two blocks separately. List the vertical forces on each, and write out the "relevant equation" in each case.

haruspex said:
I see no logic to that.
Consider the two blocks separately. List the vertical forces on each, and write out the "relevant equation" in each case.
I think that's what the velocity arrow between the two are supposed to represent but i will do it

APR13.PNG

Force pushing on A greater than force gravity on A, There is no pushing force on B so i omit that. gravity on a > gravity on b and static frictional forces are equal Newtons third law pair. There is no pushing force on b but a normal force as a result from block A pushing on it which is a horizontal force not vertical

Attachments

• APR13.PNG
    APR13.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 743
isukatphysics69 said:
I think that's what the velocity arrow between the two are supposed to represent but i will do it
Yes, they are both moving at the same constant velocity, but that does not mean FHAH=FHBA.

haruspex said:
Yes, they are both moving at the same constant velocity, but that does not mean FHAH=FHBA.
i post something above ^
|

isukatphysics69 said:
View attachment 223213
Force pushing on A greater than force gravity on A, There is no pushing force on B so i omit that. gravity on a > gravity on b and static frictional forces are equal Newtons third law pair. There is no pushing force on b but a normal force as a result from block A pushing on it which is a horizontal force not vertical
I encourage you to stop thinking about the ranking for now and concentrate on getting the right force balance equations.

Related to What is the ranking of forces in a problem on ranking forces?

1. What is a problem on ranking forces?

A problem on ranking forces is a type of physics problem that involves determining the relative magnitude and direction of multiple forces acting on an object. It requires knowledge of vector addition and understanding of Newton's laws of motion.

2. How do you approach solving a problem on ranking forces?

The first step in solving a problem on ranking forces is to draw a diagram of the forces acting on the object. Then, use vector addition to find the net force and determine the direction of motion. Finally, use Newton's laws of motion to solve for any unknown quantities.

3. What are the key concepts involved in a problem on ranking forces?

The key concepts involved in a problem on ranking forces include vector addition, Newton's laws of motion, and understanding the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces. It is also important to consider the direction and magnitude of each force and how they affect the motion of the object.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving a problem on ranking forces?

Some common mistakes when solving a problem on ranking forces include not correctly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not using the correct units for force, and not considering the direction of each force in relation to the motion of the object. It is also important to carefully draw and label the diagram to avoid confusion.

5. How can understanding ranking forces be applied in real life?

Understanding ranking forces can be applied in many real-life situations, such as designing structures, predicting the movement of objects, and understanding the forces involved in sports or other physical activities. It is also important for engineers and architects to consider the forces acting on structures to ensure their stability and safety.