Ranking Forces in Picture: Net Force and Friction Equations

In summary: I deduce that FGAE>FFAB using Newton's third law. Since the blocks are accelerating upwards at the same rate, the force of friction between them must be greater than the force of gravity. FGAE is greater because the force of friction between the hand and A is greater than the force of gravity.
isukatphysics69
apr4.PNG
1. Homework Statement

in picture

Homework Equations

My equations are
netforceyA = -MG + Friction between A and Hand + Friction between A and B
netforceyB = -MG + Friction between B and A

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction between A and B are equivelant due to Newtons third law since they are both accelerating upwards at the same rate correct?
I am not understanding this problem very much.. i know that the netforce = 0 for both cases since they are accelerating upwards at same rate (shown by velocity vector in middle of boxes) so the acceleration is 0. I don't know how to figure the rankings after solving the equations for the forces..
[/B]

Attachments

• apr4.PNG
    apr4.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
APR42.PNG

So i know that the force of gravity on A is greater than the force of gravity on B (problem says A has more mass).. and i believe that Newtons third law will tell us that the frictional forces between the two blocks are equivalent since they are both accelerating upwards at the same rate.. i am not sure how i would rank these two against each other and i believe that the frictional force between the hand and A is greater than the force of gravity..

Attachments

• APR42.PNG
    APR42.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 343
APR43.PNG

WOW i actually just figured it out using Newton laws

Attachments

• APR43.PNG
    APR43.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 773
haruspex said:
I'm glad you figured it out, but you should not have abandoned the thread at https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-problem-on-ranking-forces.943704/ and posted it afresh. I was helping you there. Indeed, it sounds like you solved it by taking my advice.
Hey sorry about that.. I can delete that other thread, i am now on part 2 and not understanding something..
I have
netforceyA = -MG + Friction between A and Hand + Friction between A and B > 0
netforceyB = -MG + Friction between B and A > 0

Friction between B and A > MG
FFAB = FFBA because Newton 3rd law so FFAB = FFBA > FGBE

Friction between A and Hand > MG - Friction between A and B

Since accelerating upwards the frictional force beats gravity so FFAH > FGAE
i think my ranking is wrong after FGAE, But i am unsure why
con6.PNG

Attachments

• con6.PNG
    con6.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 356
isukatphysics69 said:
netforceyB = -MG +
The masses are different. To avoid confusion, use m for the mass of B. (And it is g everywhere, not G.)
isukatphysics69 said:
Friction between A and B
isukatphysics69 said:
Friction between B and A
isukatphysics69 said:
FFAB = FFBA
Careful about directions. The friction between A and B cannot be pushing both up. One problem is that "between" does not specify which way around. Better to write "frictional force of A on B" etc.
It is not entirely clear, but I would assume the question intends that "FFAB" etc. are only supposed to represent the magnitudes of the forces.

haruspex said:
The masses are different. To avoid confusion, use m for the mass of B. (And it is g everywhere, not G.)
Careful about directions. The friction between A and B cannot be pushing both up. One problem is that "between" does not specify which way around. Better to write "frictional force of A on B" etc.
It is not entirely clear, but I would assume the question intends that "FFAB" etc. are only supposed to represent the magnitudes of the forces.
Hi, yes, it is magnitude ranking i should have mentioned that.. The program is giving a hint tho to check the force of gravity on A..Not sure what I'm doing wrong with A's MG

Ok i figured out that i had everything correct but i just had to eliminate FGAE because there was not enough info to actually give a ranking for it (i think)

isukatphysics69 said:
Ok i figured out that i had everything correct but i just had to eliminate FGAE because there was not enough info to actually give a ranking for it (i think)
it makes sense to me right now because using Newtons laws i was totally confused about how to prove FGAE ranking in this picture given increased acceleration..it seemed like there was no way to prove it. not sure

isukatphysics69 said:
it makes sense to me right now because using Newtons laws i was totally confused about how to prove FGAE ranking in this picture given increased acceleration..it seemed like there was no way to prove it. not sure
How do you deduce that FGAE>FFAB?

Related to Ranking Forces in Picture: Net Force and Friction Equations

1. What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it. It is calculated by summing up all of the forces in a given direction, taking into account their magnitudes and directions.

2. How is friction related to net force?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction to an object's motion, and it is often one of the forces included in the calculation of net force. It can either increase or decrease the net force, depending on the direction of the object's motion and the direction of the friction force.

3. What are the equations used to calculate net force and friction?

The equation for net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The equation for friction is Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

4. How does the direction of forces affect net force?

The direction of forces is crucial in calculating net force, as forces acting in the same direction are added together, while forces acting in opposite directions are subtracted. This means that the direction of forces can either increase or decrease the net force.

5. How do you rank forces in a picture to determine net force?

To rank forces in a picture and determine the net force, you must first identify all of the individual forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use vector addition to determine the net force by adding all of the forces acting in the same direction and subtracting any forces acting in the opposite direction.