What is the range of the composite function h?

In summary: That's what I did. Starting from ##a=0## to ##a=15####h(0)=1####h(1)=-1/sqrt(2)####h(2)=0####h(3)=1/sqrt(2)####h(4)=-1####h(5)=1/sqrt(2)####h(6)=5*E(-13)####h(7)=-1/sqrt(2)####h(8)=1####h(9)=-1/sqrt(2)####h(10)=-5*E(-13
Quadrat

Homework Statement

[/B]
The function ##f##, ##{f: ℤ → ℚ}## defined as ##f(a)=cos(πa)##
The function ##g##, ##{g: ℚ→ ℝ}## defined as ##g(a)=(5a)/4##

Let h be the composite funciton ##h(a)=f(g(a))##

What's the range of this function h?

Homework Equations

[/B]
##h(a)=cos(5πa/4)##

The domain of ##h## should be ##ℤ## and ##ℝ## its codomain. ##{h: ℤ → ℝ}##.

So a must be an integer, right? How do I sort out the range of ##h##?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just the last step in a homework assignment
So ##a## must be an integer, right? So any number ##n∈ℤ## in ##h## can be used. I tried with integers up to 10 to see what values I'd get. I just don't know how to go on with this one. How do I sort out the range of ##h##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quadrat said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
The function ##f##, ##{f: ℤ → ℚ}## defined as ##f(a)=cos(πa)##
The function ##g##, ##{g: ℚ→ ℝ}## defined as ##g(a)=(5a)/4##

Let h be the composite funciton ##h(a)=f(g(a))##

What's the range of this function h?

Homework Equations

[/B]
##h(a)=cos(5πa/4)##

The domain of ##h## should be ##ℤ## and ##ℝ## its codomain. ##{h: ℤ → ℝ}##.

So a must be an integer, right? How do I sort out the range of ##h##?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just the last step in a homework assignment
So ##a## must be an integer, right? So any number ##n∈ℤ## in ##h## can be used. I tried with integers up to 10 to see what values I'd get. I just don't know how to go on with this one. How do I sort out the range of ##h##?

Try to get a feeling for what is going on by testing a few small values such as ##a = 0, 1, 2, 3## to see what you get.

Ray Vickson said:
Try to get a feeling for what is going on by testing a few small values such as ##a = 0, 1, 2, 3## to see what you get.

That's what I did. Starting from ##a=0## to ##a=15##
##h(0)=1##
##h(1)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(2)=0##
##h(3)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(4)=-1##
##h(5)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(6)=5*E(-13)##
##h(7)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(8)=1##
##h(9)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(10)=-5*E(-13)##
##h(11)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(12)=-1##
##h(13)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(14)=1,5*E(-12)##
##h(15)=1/sqrt(2)##

Still I can't figure out what the range is. Especially when I get values like h(14), h(26), h(30) etc. What am I missing?

Quadrat said:
That's what I did. Starting from ##a=0## to ##a=15##
##h(0)=1##
##h(1)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(2)=0##
##h(3)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(4)=-1##
##h(5)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(6)=5*E(-13)##
##h(7)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(8)=1##
##h(9)=-1/sqrt(2)##
##h(10)=-5*E(-13)##
##h(11)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(12)=-1##
##h(13)=1/sqrt(2)##
##h(14)=1,5*E(-12)##
##h(15)=1/sqrt(2)##

Still I can't figure out what the range is. Especially when I get values like h(14), h(26), h(30) etc. What am I missing?

Throw away your calculator; you don't need it in this problem, and its use is just confusing you. Things like ##5 E(-13)## are rounded versions of ##0## exactly. You should know---without ever consulting a calculator---what are cosines of angles like 0, ##\pi##, ##2 \pi##, ##3\pi##, etc., as well as for angles like ##\pi/4##, ##2\pi/4 = \pi/2##, ##3 \pi/4##, etc.

Likes SammyS
Ray Vickson said:
Throw away your calculator
Yes, absolutely. In addition to the angles Ray listed, you should know, by heart, the trig functions of ##\pi/6, \pi/3, 2\pi/3, 5\pi/6## and their corresponding angles in the 3rd and 4th quadrants.

Related to What is the range of the composite function h?

1. What is the definition of range of composite function?

The range of a composite function is the set of all output values that can be obtained by plugging in different input values into the function. In simpler terms, it is the set of all possible outcomes or results of a composite function.

2. How do you find the range of a composite function?

To find the range of a composite function, you first need to determine the domain of the inner function. Then, plug in the domain values into the outer function to get the range values. The range is the set of all these output values.

3. Can the range of a composite function be empty?

Yes, the range of a composite function can be empty. This means that there are no possible output values for the given input values. It is possible for the range to be empty when the inner function's domain does not overlap with the outer function's range.

4. What is the difference between domain and range of a composite function?

The domain of a composite function refers to the set of input values for which the function is defined. On the other hand, the range of a composite function refers to the set of output values that can be obtained by plugging in different input values into the function.

5. Why is it important to understand the range of a composite function?

Understanding the range of a composite function allows us to see all the possible outcomes or results of the function. This can help us make predictions, analyze patterns, and solve real-world problems more accurately. Additionally, it is an essential concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.