Composite Functions, please confirm

In summary, Sammy has been trying to help you with your homework, but you are having a hard time understanding the material. The domain and range of functions f(g(x)) and h(g(x)) are not clear to you.
dylanjames
New to composite functions here. Lesson has been vague and unhelpful.. again. Here is what I've worked on so far but not sure on the last equation in particular, or that I have done my multiplication properly when working with a squared set of brackets, multiplied by an number.. (b and c)
Any confirmation/help would be mucho appreciated. Thanks!

Given the functions f(x)=4x-1, g(x)=3-2^2 and h(x)=√(x+5) simplify the following..

a) f(g(a))
g(a)=4(3-2a^2) - 1
=12 - 8a^2 - 1
=11-8a^2.

b) g(f(2x))
f(2x)=4(2x)-1=8x-1
g(f(2x)=3-2(8x-1)^2
g(f(2x)=3-2[(8x-1)(8x-1)]
g(f(2x))=3-2[64x^2 -16x+1]
g(f(2x)=-128x^2+32x-2+3
g(f(2x)=-128x^2+32x+1

c) h(g(2k+1))
g(2k+1)=3-2(2k+1)^2
=3-2[(2k+1)(2k+1)]
=3-2[4k^2 +4k+1]
=-8k^2-8k+1
h(g(2k+1))=sqrt[(-8k^2-8k+1)+5] =?
=-8k-2.82k+2.23? = 10.82k+2.23...
That can't be right...

Also need the domain and range for f(g(x))... no idea how to tackle that.

Physics news on Phys.org
dylanjames said:
New to composite functions here. Lesson has been vague and unhelpful.. again. Here is what I've worked on so far but not sure on the last equation in particular, or that I have done my multiplication properly when working with a squared set of brackets, multiplied by an number.. (b and c)
Any confirmation/help would be mucho appreciated. Thanks!

Given the functions f(x)=4x-1, g(x)=3-2x^2 and h(x)=√(x+5) simplify the following..
There's a typo in g(x).

a) f(g(a))
g(a)=4(3-2a^2) - 1
=12 - 8a^2 - 1
=11-8a^2.

b) g(f(2x))
f(2x)=4(2x)-1=8x-1
g(f(2x)=3-2(8x-1)^2
g(f(2x)=3-2[(8x-1)(8x-1)]
g(f(2x))=3-2[64x^2 -16x+1]
g(f(2x)=-128x^2+32x-2+3
g(f(2x)=-128x^2+32x+1

c) h(g(2k+1))
g(2k+1)=3-2(2k+1)^2
=3-2[(2k+1)(2k+1)]
=3-2[4k^2 +4k+1]
=-8k^2-8k+1
h(g(2k+1))=sqrt[(-8k^2-8k+1)+5] =?
=-8k-2.82k+2.23? = 10.82k+2.23...
That can't be right...

Also need the domain and range for f(g(x))... no idea how to tackle that.
##\displaystyle\ h(g(2k+1))=\sqrt{-8k^2-8k+1+5\ } ## is correct.

You can't split up the square root like that.
##\displaystyle\ \sqrt{a+b}\ne\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} ##​

@dylanjames, when you post a problem, don't delete the homework template.

So how do I solve the domain of that function?

dylanjames said:
So how do I solve the domain of that function?
What is meant by the implicit domain of a function, or meant by determining the domain of a function implicitly?

English dude!

dylanjames said:
English dude!
What sort of math class is this?

What is meant by the domain of a function anyway ?

An extremely poorly taught advanced functions class, that throws its students two small examples, slams them with 35 homework questions that go 6 steps further than taught and do me no good in terms of actually understanding material. I have solved the question. Thank you.

SammyS said:
What is meant by the implicit domain of a function, or meant by determining the domain of a function implicitly?

dylanjames said:
English dude!
What Sammy wrote was English. Chill on the attitude, dude, and show some respect, or else...

Relax mark. Little bit of sarcasm got your knickers in a twist?

dylanjames said:
Relax mark. Little bit of sarcasm got your knickers in a twist?
Sarcasm often doesn't come off well in a social media environment. In post #5 Sammy tried to get you to think about your question, and you replied with a flippant "English dude!" Whether you realize it or not, he was trying to help you. When he asked what type of class you were in, in post 7, I don't believe he was primarily interested in your opinion of how the class was run, but instead what the level of the class was.

You're the one asking for help. Sammy and others are helping completely voluntarily, so show some respect for those who are trying to help you understand this stuff. The "or else" means that this is your warning. There won't be others.

Likes Orson and BvU
Lighten up. No disrespect to Sammy intended but I do believe this is why people have such a terrible perception of math-oriented people, and professors too for that matter.
Life is too short to sweat the little things Mark and ill be damned if I am going to sit on here and be lectured by some retired math professor, eager to relive his years as the "the man in charge" to compensate for his little man complex. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things whether each of the homework threads are posted in your perfect little columns? No. Does it make any difference that you send out lord knows how many emails to people complaining about their accidentally misplaced forums?? No.
Furthermore, does it matter that you are going to ban me from a forum that I can join in again under a new name in approximately 12 seconds?!?

Lighten up man. When the dust settles, you know I'm right. Cheers.

dylanjames said:
Lighten up. No disrespect to Sammy intended but I do believe this is why people have such a terrible perception of math-oriented people, and professors too for that matter.
Life is too short to sweat the little things Mark and ill be damned if I am going to sit on here and be lectured by some retired math professor, eager to relive his years as the "the man in charge" to compensate for his little man complex. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things whether each of the homework threads are posted in your perfect little columns?
If you post a homework question, you need to use the template. Them's the rules. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, second bullet under Homework Guidelines.
Attempts are mandatory
You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

You agreed to abide by these rules when you opened an account here. If you choose not to abide by them, your stay here will be short.
dylanjames said:
No. Does it make any difference that you send out lord knows how many emails to people complaining about their accidentally misplaced forums?? No.
Furthermore, does it matter that you are going to ban me from a forum that I can join in again under a new name in approximately 12 seconds?!?
You must think that no one has ever thought of this before. Just to set you straight, there have been a lot of members who were banned, and who signed up again with new user names. They didn't last long either.
dylanjames said:
Lighten up man. When the dust settles, you know I'm right. Cheers.

dylanjames said:
It would not be beneficial to you, even if you sign up as a new user. You will get good responses to your questions only when you change to a good attitude and give respect.

You must know that some privileged members of PF can locate you by your IP address.
So changing up to a new user will not help you.

Likes Mark44

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. The output of one function is used as the input for the next function.

2. How do you evaluate composite functions?

To evaluate a composite function, you need to substitute the input value into the innermost function and then work your way out to the outermost function. The final result will be the output of the composite function.

3. Can any two functions be composed?

No, not all functions can be composed. The output of the inner function must be in the domain of the outer function for the composition to be valid.

4. What is the difference between a composite function and a simple function?

A simple function is a single function with one input and one output, while a composite function is made up of multiple functions. The output of a simple function is a single value, while the output of a composite function is the output of the final function in the composition.

5. Are there any special rules for composing functions?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when composing functions. The inner function must have a domain that is a subset of the domain of the outer function. Also, the order in which functions are composed can affect the final result, so be careful when rearranging the order of functions.