What is the Range of a Differentiable Function with a Given Derivative at x=2?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the range of f(|x|) given a differentiable function, f, from R to R. The derivative of f(x) at x=2 is given as 2. The conversation explores various substitutions and derivative relationships to solve the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the function g(x) = f(x) - 2 is odd and may be helpful in finding the range of f(|x|).
jd12345

Homework Statement

A function from R-->R is differentiable and follows f( (x+y)/3 ) =( 2 + f(x) + f(y) ) / 3
Derivative of f(x) at x=2 is 2

Find the range of f ( |x| )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the questions asks me the range of f( |x| ). But i don't even know f(x). I did find the value of f(0) which is 2. And i don't know what to do afterwards. I have no idea why the value of derivative is given.

Physics news on Phys.org
jd12345 said:

Homework Statement

A function from R-->R is differentiable and follows f( (x+y)/3 ) =( 2 + f(x) + f(y) ) / 3
Derivative of f(x) at x=2 is 2

Find the range of f ( |x| )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the questions asks me the range of f( |x| ). But i don't even know f(x). I did find the value of f(0) which is 2. And i don't know what to do afterwards. I have no idea why the value of derivative is given.
How is f(-x) related to f(x) ?
Hint: Let y = -x .
Use that result to see how f '(-x) is related to f '(x) .

Two more substitutions that might be helpful:
y = x (which you may have used to fin f(0) )

and

y = 2x .

Ok (by using spoiler) f(0) = 2 + f(x) + f(-x) / 3
=> 6 = 2 + f(x) +f(-x)
=> 4 = f(x) +f(-x)
Thus 0 = f '(x) - f '(-x)
f '(x) = f '(-x)
f '(x) is even so f(x) is odd.

But if f(x) is odd then f(x) + f (-x) = 0 but i found out earlier that it is equal to 4. A bit confused

jd12345 said:
Ok (by using spoiler) f(0) = 2 + f(x) + f(-x) / 3
=> 6 = 2 + f(x) +f(-x)
=> 4 = f(x) +f(-x)
Thus 0 = f '(x) - f '(-x)
f '(x) = f '(-x)
f '(x) is even so f(x) is odd. This is not true.

But if f(x) is odd then f(x) + f (-x) = 0 but i found out earlier that it is equal to 4. A bit confused
If f(x) is odd, then it is true that f '(x) is even, but the converse is not necessarily true.

If f '(x) is odd, then it does follow that f(x) is even.

In your case, 4 = f(x) +f(-x), so that f(-x) = -f(x) + 4 . Therefore, f(x) is not odd.

Consider the function g(x) defined as g(x) = f(x) - 2.

g(x) is odd.

Oh ok - but still i cannot solve the initial problem. This is what i have done till now:-
f(0) = 2
f(x) = f(-x) + 4 and f '(x) = f ' (-x)
Are they right? and what else do i need to do?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Two more substitutions that might be helpful:
y = x (which you may have used to find f(0) )

and

y = 2x .

See what derivative relationships result from the above.

Also, you might consider investigating the behavior of the function g(x) .

Related to What is the Range of a Differentiable Function with a Given Derivative at x=2?

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation where the unknown variable is a function, rather than a traditional numerical value. This means that the solution to the equation is a function that satisfies certain conditions or relationships.

2. Why is solving functional equations important in science?

Solving functional equations is important in science because many natural phenomena and relationships can be described using functional equations. By solving these equations, we gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms and can make predictions about future behavior.

3. What strategies are commonly used to solve functional equations?

There are several strategies commonly used to solve functional equations, including substitution, differentiation, and induction. It is also important to carefully analyze the given conditions and properties of the function in order to identify any patterns or relationships that can help in finding a solution.

4. Can all functional equations be solved analytically?

No, not all functional equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical or graphical methods to approximate a solution, while others may not have a solution at all. In these cases, it is important to understand the limitations of the equation and interpret the results accordingly.

5. How can functional equations be applied in real-world situations?

Functional equations can be applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as modeling population growth, predicting market trends, and understanding physical systems. By using functional equations, we can make accurate predictions and inform decision-making processes in various fields of study.