What is the proper etiquette for waiting at a restaurant when meeting someone?

• Thread starter noblerare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convention
In summary, if you are meeting someone at a restaurant and you arrive at different times, you should go inside and wait, or go wait outside. If there are several people meeting, you should wait outside and sit on a bench.
noblerare
Hi folks,

When you arrange to meet someone at a restaurant and you may arrive at different times, what is the social protocol in terms of where to wait? Should I go inside, grab a table and wait or should I stand outside the restaurant and wait for the person to arrive? Will doing one or the other make me look foolish?

Would the answer change if several people were meeting?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would wait outside sit on a bench in front of the restaurant. Even if there were several people, I would wait outside.

Yeah, I'd check in the restaurant first to see if they're not there yet. Then I'd go wait outside.

You should ask the person you plan to meet on what to do. Do they want to meet outside or inside? Kind of a no brainer.

If you get a table and it turns out you're at the wrong restaraunt, are you still obligated to leave a tip?

I usually will wait outside if I'm first until at least one other person shows up, unless there's a line waiting for tables. If there's a line to get a table, then it's best to go ahead and get your name on the list.

And one of us did show up at the wrong restaraunt for a meeting, once. That's the problem with putting too many chain restaraunts on the same very long street. When both think they know where the south restaraunt is and where the north restaraunt is, but neither knows that that chain actually has three restaraunts on that street. Makes for a confusing cell phone call when you're both standing outside the north restaraunt, but can't see each other.

I feel it is rather irrelevant what you do.

Do what you feel like.
Talk to some people and pass the time? Fine. It's kind of relaxed.
If you want to sit inside at a table and have drink, do so.
Want to wait outside? Fine too.

What would you do if you came later?

If the person is not outside, I'll peek inside to see if (s)he's sitting at a table.
I wouldn't hold either choice against that person.
I'd prefer it if (s)he just did what felt comfortable.

And in case you can't find each other, you'll always have your mobile.

Do make sure you have each other's phone number, and that your battery is charged.
That's far more important! :smile:

Related to What is the proper etiquette for waiting at a restaurant when meeting someone?

1. What is "meeting social convention"?

"Meeting social convention" refers to adhering to expected behaviors, norms, and customs within a specific society or culture. It involves following the unwritten rules of social interactions and behaving in ways that are deemed acceptable by others.

2. Why is meeting social convention important?

Meeting social convention is important because it allows for smooth and harmonious interactions with others. It helps to establish a sense of belonging and unity within a group or society. Failing to meet social convention can result in misunderstandings, conflicts, and social isolation.

3. How do social conventions differ across cultures?

Social conventions can vary greatly across different cultures. For example, what is considered polite or appropriate behavior in one culture may be considered rude or offensive in another. These differences can include body language, verbal communication, and expectations for social interactions.

4. Can social conventions change over time?

Yes, social conventions can change over time. As societies evolve and adapt, so do their social conventions. For example, what was once considered taboo may become more accepted, and what was once acceptable behavior may now be deemed inappropriate. Social media and technological advancements can also influence changes in social conventions.

5. How do social conventions affect our daily lives?

Social conventions play a significant role in our daily lives as they dictate how we interact with others and shape our behaviors. They can influence our choices, values, and beliefs. By following social conventions, we can establish and maintain relationships, navigate social situations, and feel a sense of belonging within our communities.