What is the process behind biodeisel fuels.

• Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, a biodiesel is a fuel made from plant oils that is more environmentally friendly than regular diesel.
The_Z_Factor
Hello all, I was just wondering the process behind biodeisels, because I've actually set up doing some volunteer work at a place called Blue Ridge Bio Fuels (or something like that) in NC, and I wanted to know more about it, because I know nothing. Actually, the guy I talked to is a major in physics and a mechanical engineer, how lucky, haha.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The_Z_Factor said:
Hello all, I was just wondering the process behind biodeisels, because I've actually set up doing some volunteer work at a place called Blue Ridge Bio Fuels (or something like that) in NC, and I wanted to know more about it, because I know nothing. Actually, the guy I talked to is a major in physics and a mechanical engineer, how lucky, haha.

Why not just read about it on Wikipedia? Or do a search on Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Mech_Engineer said:
Why not just read about it on Wikipedia? Or do a search on Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

I find talking about it with people educated in the field happens to be more interesting and over-all better for gaining knowledge, especially since you can have conversations and ask specific questions that wikipedia may not (could possibly though) be able to answer.

I'm not sure how basic you wanted to start out, but perhaps the best way to understand biodiesel is by startign with what you already know about regular diesel. Diesel fuel is (simplified) a complex carbon molecule. These carbon chains bond readily with oxygen, especially the ones with seven carbon atoms. These "heptane" carbon molecules will ignite under pressure without even requiring a spark, and that's diesel fuel. This is, of course, a petroleum product; it comes from oil.

well, some pretty clever folk appearently made the connection between petrolium oil and vegatble oil, realizing that cooking oikl can be pretty darn flammable too, and decided to try buurning it for fuel in place of petrolium. Crazy thing is, it actually works! Plants that are alive have the same basic compounds in them as plants that have been dead a million years, and they produce oils filled with complex carbon chains, and those chains readily bond with oxygen yielding heat energy as a byproduct. Basically, biodiesel is a fossil fuel that has never been given time to fossilize.

Related to What is the process behind biodeisel fuels.

1. What is biodeisel fuel?

Biodeisel fuel is a type of alternative fuel made from renewable resources such as vegetable oils, animal fats, and recycled cooking oil. It is produced through a chemical process called transesterification, which converts these fats and oils into fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) that can be used as a substitute for traditional diesel fuel.

2. How is biodeisel fuel produced?

The production of biodeisel fuel involves several steps. First, the vegetable oils or animal fats are collected and filtered to remove any impurities. Then, they are mixed with an alcohol, typically methanol, and a catalyst, such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. This mixture is heated and agitated, causing a chemical reaction that produces biodeisel and glycerin. The biodeisel is then separated from the glycerin and purified before it can be used as fuel.

3. Why is biodeisel fuel considered a sustainable energy source?

Biodeisel fuel is considered sustainable because it is made from renewable resources that can be replenished, unlike fossil fuels which are finite resources. Additionally, biodeisel fuel produces significantly less emissions and pollutants than traditional diesel fuel, making it more environmentally friendly.

4. What are the benefits of using biodeisel fuel?

There are several benefits to using biodeisel fuel. It is a cleaner burning fuel, which means it produces fewer harmful emissions such as carbon monoxide and particulate matter. It also has a higher lubricity than traditional diesel, which can help reduce engine wear and improve longevity. Additionally, biodeisel fuel is more biodegradable and less toxic than petroleum-based fuels, making it safer for the environment.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using biodeisel fuel?

One potential drawback to using biodeisel fuel is its higher cost compared to traditional diesel. However, as more research and production methods are developed, the cost of biodeisel is expected to decrease. There may also be compatibility issues with certain engines, as biodeisel can cause clogging in older engines or those not designed to run on alternative fuels. It is important to check with the manufacturer's recommendations before using biodeisel in any engine.