What Is the Probability of Winning the Game of Three with a Shuffled Deck?

• Thread starter countzander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: I think it would be helpful to have a probabilist on the team.In summary, the probability of winning on the first card, that is, drawing a 3, is 1/3.
countzander
Consider the game of Three."

Homework Statement

You shuffle a deck of three cards: ace, 2, 3. With the ace worth 1 point, you draw cards at random without replacement until your total points are 3 or more. You win if your total points are exactly 3. What is the probability that you win?

Homework Equations

n
Permutation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the desirable outcomes are given by 3P1. The sample space is 3!. So the chance of winning would be (3P1)/3!.

Physics news on Phys.org

When you say "With the ace worth 1 point", do you mean the other cards are worth 0?

I don't think your result is correct. Perhaps you could explain a little about your reasoning for your figures?

It's worth noting that this is a very small sample space. There are only three cards and you are drawing without replacement so enumerating every possible sequence ad simply counting the outcomes is a perfectly reasonable approach.

HallsofIvy said:
When you say "With the ace worth 1 point", do you mean the other cards are worth 0?

If so, how would you get to more than 3?

you draw cards at random without replacement until your total points are 3 or more.
Ah- I missed the "without replacement". Thanks.

Dick said:
If so, how would you get to more than 3?

Do we have a winner?

HallsofIvy said:

The cards are worth 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

countzander said:

Homework Statement

You shuffle a deck of three cards: ace, 2, 3. With the ace worth 1 point, you draw cards at random without replacement until your total points are 3 or more. You win if your total points are exactly 3. What is the probability that you win?

Homework Equations

n
Permutation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the desirable outcomes are given by 3P1.

No, the number of points in the sample space (outcomes) is 6
The sample space is 3!.

No. The sample space could be viewed as {12, 13, 21, 23, 3, 3} or {123, 132, 213, 231, 312, 321}, depending on how you want to view it.

So the chance of winning would be (3P1)/3!.

Why?

countzander said:

Homework Statement

I think the desirable outcomes are given by 3P1. The sample space is 3!. So the chance of winning would be (3P1)/3!.

Homework Statement

So what is that number? So we can vote if it's right or not ...

rude man said:
So what is that number? So we can vote if it's right or not ...

3P1 is 3!/(3-1)!=3 is fairly standard notation. 3/3!=1/2. You can vote if you want. But it's still wrong.

Dick said:
3P1 is 3!/(3-1)!=3 is fairly standard notation. 3/3!=1/2. You can vote if you want. But it's still wrong.

We're not all probabilists.

I agree, that answer is wrong.

The probability of winning on the first card, that is, drawing a 3, is 1/3.

If the first card is not a 3 it might be an ace, with probability 1/3, in which case, to win you must next draw the 2, not the three. What is the probability of that?

If the first card is not a 3 it might be a 2, with probability 1/3, in which case, to win you must next draw the ace, not the three. What is the probability of that?

I expect everyone here except countzander knows the correct answer. We're waiting for an argument from him...something more than just a wrong answer.

LCKurtz said:
I expect everyone here except countzander knows the correct answer. We're waiting for an argument from him...something more than just a wrong answer.

I agree.

Related to What Is the Probability of Winning the Game of Three with a Shuffled Deck?

1. What is the objective of the game of Three?

The objective of the game of Three is to be the first player to reach a total score of 3 or a multiple of 3 by strategically adding or subtracting numbers from the current total.

2. How is the game of Three played?

The game starts with a random positive integer, and players take turns adding or subtracting 1 to reach a multiple of 3. The player who reaches a total score of 3 or a multiple of 3 wins the game.

3. Is the game of Three purely based on luck or are there strategies involved?

The game of Three involves both luck and strategy. While the initial number is random, players must make strategic decisions to reach a multiple of 3 before their opponent does.

4. Can the game of Three be played with more than two players?

The traditional game of Three is a two-player game, but it can be modified to include more players by increasing the starting number or setting a time limit for each turn.

5. Are there variations of the game of Three?

Yes, there are variations of the game of Three that involve different starting numbers, different operations (such as multiplication or division), and different winning conditions. Some variations also allow players to choose their own starting number or to play with negative numbers.