What is the Probability of Error in an Adaptive Modulation System?

In summary, an Adaptive Modulation System is a type of communication system that automatically adjusts the modulation scheme based on the quality of the communication channel. It uses a feedback mechanism to select the appropriate modulation scheme, allowing for efficient use of bandwidth and increased data transfer rates. The main benefits of using an AMS include more efficient use of the communication channel and the ability to adapt to changing channel conditions. There are different types of AMS, including fixed adaptive, variable-rate adaptive, and variable-modulation adaptive systems. However, there are limitations to using an AMS, such as its suitability for certain types of communication channels and the added complexity and cost of implementation.
JeeebeZ

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-19_19-15-1.png

2. Homework Equations

upload_2015-3-19_19-13-57.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to get those numbers, I think I have to convert from dB when actually calculating it but I'm unable to get those ones.

I have
PQPSK = 0.502368
P16QAM = 0.0526855
P64QAM = 0.000004
Pno = 0.4450

I figured it out,
upload_2015-3-26_18-26-20.png

Those are not in dB, even though I thought they were. So I was converting everything from dB or nothing from dB

so the integral ends up being -exp(gamma/gamma_bar) evaluated from a to b.

-exp(-52.98/ ( 10^(18/10) )) + exp(-10.6/ ( 10^(18/10) )) = 0.413505

-exp(-222.53/ ( 10^(18/10) )) + exp(-52.98/ ( 10^(18/10) )) = 0.402453

+ exp(-222.53/ ( 10^(18/10) )) = 0.0293970

Likes berkeman

Related to What is the Probability of Error in an Adaptive Modulation System?

1. What is an Adaptive Modulation System?

An Adaptive Modulation System (AMS) is a type of communication system that automatically adjusts the modulation scheme used to transmit data based on the quality of the communication channel. It is designed to maximize data throughput while minimizing transmission errors.

2. How does an Adaptive Modulation System work?

An AMS uses a feedback mechanism to continuously monitor the quality of the communication channel. Based on this feedback, it selects the appropriate modulation scheme to use for each transmission. This allows for efficient use of the available bandwidth and increases the overall data transfer rate.

3. What are the benefits of using an Adaptive Modulation System?

The main benefit of an AMS is that it allows for more efficient use of the available communication channel. By automatically adjusting the modulation scheme, it can adapt to changing channel conditions and maintain a high data transfer rate. This can be especially useful in situations where the channel quality may vary, such as in wireless or satellite communications.

4. What are the different types of Adaptive Modulation Systems?

There are several different types of AMS, including fixed adaptive, variable-rate adaptive, and variable-modulation adaptive systems. Fixed adaptive systems use a fixed set of modulation schemes and switch between them based on channel quality. Variable-rate adaptive systems adjust the data rate based on channel conditions, while variable-modulation adaptive systems can change both the data rate and modulation scheme.

5. What are the limitations of an Adaptive Modulation System?

While an AMS can improve data transfer rates, it is not suitable for all types of communication channels. It is most effective in channels with varying quality and can be less efficient in channels with consistent, high-quality transmission. Additionally, implementing an AMS can add complexity and cost to a communication system.