3dB Frequency of an LED Transfer Function

In summary: H(w) is not a power transfer function. It should be G(w) = H²(w), i.e. G(w) = 1/(1+ jwT)².In summary, the LED transfer function H(w) is defined as 1/(1+jwT) and the 3-dB modulation bandwidth f(3dB) is the frequency at which H(w) is reduced by 3 dB or a factor of 2. However, there is a contradiction in the problem as it gives H(w) as 1/(1+jwT) which results in f(3dB) being equal to 1/T. The correct solution would involve using G(w)=H^2(w) and
roam

Homework Statement

According to my textbook:

The LED transfer function ##H(\omega_m)## is defined as:

$$H(\omega_m) = \frac{1}{1+j\omega_{m}\tau_{c}}$$

The 3-dB modulation bandwidth ##f_{\text{3 dB}}## is defined as the modulation frequency at which ##H(\omega_m)## is reduced by 3 dB or by a factor of 2. The result is:

$$f_{\text{3 dB}}=\sqrt{3}(2\pi\tau_{c})^{-1} \tag{1}$$

I don't understand how they derived the last expression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##G(j\omega_{m})=\frac{1}{1+j\omega_{m}\tau_{c}}##.

##|G(j\omega_{m})|^{2}=\frac{1}{1+j\omega_{m}\tau_{c}}.\frac{1}{1-j\omega_{m}\tau_{c}}=\frac{1}{1+\omega_{m}^{2}\tau_{c}^{2}}##

##\therefore |G(j\omega_{m})|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\omega_{m}^{2}\tau_{c}^{2}}}##

And ##|G(0)|=1##, therefore to find the 3 dB point we must solve:

$$\frac{|G(j\omega)|}{|G(0)|}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\omega_{\text{3 dB}}^{2}\tau_{c}^{2}}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$

However when I solve this I get:

$$\omega_{\text{3 dB}}=\frac{1}{\tau_{c}}\ \text{or}\ f_{\text{3 dB}}=\frac{1}{2\pi\tau_{c}}$$

So where does the ##\sqrt{3}## factor in equation (1) come from? What is the mistake here? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is problem as stated is a mess.

They're apparently thinking 3dB of power, not whatever the units of H(w) are (light power output/current input?). Your H(w) is down by a factor of √2, not 2, at w = 1/T. So the problem actually is a contradiction in terms since it gives H(w) as 1/(1+ jwT) which at 3dB down (i.e. 1/√2) gives w = 1/T as you found.

So they meant 3dB down in power which is 6dB down in H(w) which gives their posted answer. But the problem is misstated.

Likes roam, donpacino and berkeman

Related to 3dB Frequency of an LED Transfer Function

1. What is the 3dB frequency of an LED transfer function?

The 3dB frequency of an LED transfer function is the frequency at which the output power of the LED is half of its maximum power. It is also known as the cut-off frequency or the half-power point.

2. Why is the 3dB frequency important in an LED transfer function?

The 3dB frequency is important because it determines the bandwidth of the LED transfer function. This means that it determines the range of frequencies over which the LED can accurately respond to input signals.

3. How is the 3dB frequency calculated for an LED transfer function?

The 3dB frequency can be calculated by finding the point where the output power of the LED is half of its maximum power. This can be done by plotting the transfer function on a graph and finding the frequency at which the output power is at the half-power point.

4. What factors can affect the 3dB frequency of an LED transfer function?

The 3dB frequency of an LED transfer function can be affected by various factors such as the type of LED used, the temperature of the LED, and the circuit in which the LED is operating. These factors can cause variations in the transfer function and therefore affect the 3dB frequency.

5. Can the 3dB frequency be improved in an LED transfer function?

Yes, the 3dB frequency can be improved by using higher quality components, optimizing the circuit design, and controlling the temperature of the LED. These measures can help to reduce any variations in the transfer function and improve the overall performance of the LED.