What is the Probability of 5 People in a Small Town Getting Cancer in One Year?

In summary, the probability of randomly choosing 3000-5000 people from 70,000,000 and selecting all of them in the town of 13,700 is 0.11%.
csnsc14320
Feeling a bit rusty on my probability -

Say you have 70,000,000 people in a country and a small town with 13,700 people.

Now, say 3,000 - 5,000 people of the 70,000,000 people become infected with cancer per year.

What are the chances 5 people from the small town get infected in one year?

This isn't for a class so I welcome the right answer.

I was thinking something along the lines of

(3,000/70,000,000 * 13,700/70,000,000)^5 percent chance to(5,000/70,000,000 * 13,700/70,000,000)^5 percent chance, but I'm can't recall at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that this is the right way.

This looks like the probability of randomly choosing five people in the country and picking all five in the town and all five have cancer.

I remember doing some problems like these and they use factorials in them. I'm trying to think of the exact equation but it doesn't come to mind.

bucher said:
I don't think that this is the right way.

This looks like the probability of randomly choosing five people in the country and picking all five in the town and all five have cancer.

I remember doing some problems like these and they use factorials in them. I'm trying to think of the exact equation but it doesn't come to mind.

Yeah, I guess in words what I am trying to do is find the probability of randomly choosing 3000-5000 people from 70,000,000 that exactly 5 of them would be from my town of 13,700 people

csnsc14320 said:
Yeah, I guess in words what I am trying to do is find the probability of randomly choosing 3000-5000 people from 70,000,000 that exactly 5 of them would be from my town of 13,700 people

Let's say that every person in your country has a p = 1 - q = 4000/70 000 000 chance of getting cancer. Then the chance that exactly k people get cancer in a town of 13,700 is p^k q^(13 700 - k) (13 700 choose k), which is small (0.11%) for k = 5.

But then again if there are 2000 such villages, the chance that at least one has 5 or more cases of cancer is 92%.

Nevermind, CRGreathouse got it. (p=0.0011195)

For csnc: the factorials come from the (n choose x) part of the formula. That would be defined as n! / (x!*(n-x)!) but nCr function on calculator works great. ;)
That substitutes into

p(x)=(n choose x) * p^x * q^(n-x)

,where

p=probability of "success" (sick person) =4000/70,000,000 (assuming we reduce the range to a single value and distribution is approximately symmetric),
q=1-p=probability of "failure" (well person),
n=number of trials (13,700), and
x=# of successes in n trials (looking for 5)

Last edited:

Related to What is the Probability of 5 People in a Small Town Getting Cancer in One Year?

1. What is "probability town population"?

"Probability town population" refers to a theoretical or hypothetical population created for the purpose of studying probability and statistics. It is a tool used by scientists to better understand and make predictions about real-world populations.

2. How is the population of probability town determined?

The population of probability town is determined by the scientist conducting the study, and can vary depending on the specific research question being explored. Some studies may use a small population for simplicity, while others may use a larger population for more accurate results.

3. What factors influence the population of probability town?

The population of probability town can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the research question being studied, the availability of data, and the resources and time constraints of the study. Additionally, the population may be limited to specific demographics or characteristics in order to draw more accurate conclusions.

4. How is probability town different from real populations?

Probability town is a theoretical population created for the purpose of studying probability and statistics, and is not representative of a real-world population. While it may share some similarities with real populations, it is designed to be controlled and manipulated for scientific research, whereas real populations are complex and constantly changing.

5. What are the advantages of using probability town in research?

Using probability town as a tool in research allows scientists to study and manipulate populations in a controlled environment, without the potential ethical concerns and limitations of studying real populations. It also allows for more precise and accurate data collection and analysis, leading to more reliable conclusions and predictions.