What is the prevalence of illegal drug use in Oregon?

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary: His property, like mine, is unfenced. So people of the night, can wander in and out, and do lolz kind of stuff.*thoughts drift to the events of Labor day*So yesterday, I went to work, and when I got home, there were all these fire trucks and flashing lights in my front yard. I went outside and saw the house on fire, and the whole thing was gone in like 90 seconds.Afterwards, I talked to the neighbors and they said that it looked like someone may have started the fire with a 747.But the weird part is, I fell asleep watching Die Hard 2 last night and I don't remember anything after the boom.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
The day after Labor day...

Someone ask me about today, tomorrow.

It was one big shish kum bah after the other.

Actually, it started with a bang. A 747 landing in your front yard type bang, with flames, 20 feet wide, and 30 feet high, outside my bedroom window, at 4 am...

time for bed, now that I know what happened...

:zzz:

The story I spun in my head, with too little visual information...

And the 5 fire trucks parked in front of my house this morning for an hour, with all those Christmassy lights blinking, in the dead of dawn...

It couldn't have been a dream, could it? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you fell asleep watching Die Hard 2. You choose...poorly.

OmCheeto said:
Someone ask me about today, tomorrow.

So, Om - how was your day yesterday?

russ_watters said:
I think you fell asleep watching Die Hard 2. You choose...poorly.

747 may have been an exaggeration.

Anyways, yesterday at around 4am, I was awoken by a loud boom. So I looked out my bedroom window and saw something like the following:

2012.09.04.0400.boom.fire.jpg

Not knowing where the flames were originating, I went to my front porch and saw the same thing. Then I heard someone scream. So of course I hurried to my phone and called 911.

Operator: State your emergency
Om: MY NEIGHBORS HOUSE IS ON FIRE!
Operator: How much of the house is on fire?
Om: I don't know! It looks like the whole thing is on fire!
Operator: What is your name?
Om: Om
Operator: What is your last name?
Om: Cheeto
Operator: What is your address?
Om: 12456 SE Clinton
Operator: Do you have a call back number?
Om: 503-124-3654
Operator: Ok. Do not try and put the fire out by yourself. Thank you.

So I went back to the front porch, as I couldn't see out my front window as the shades were lowered, and the flames were completely gone.

?

I went back in and called 911 and told them the fire was, um, gone.

They said thank you, and that the residents had also called.

So I went back out to my front porch and four big fire trucks arrived and the firemen spent about an hour making sure the conflagration/nownotaconflagration was out.

On my way to work, I finally got a look at the house, as it is almost completely obscured by a 10 foot tall Laurel hedge. It appeared that their entire 200 square foot wooden front deck had been what was on fire. The firemen had helped remove about 30 square feet of the siding from the front of their house.

But the mystery was, how could such a fire start with such a huge BOOM, and then be out in less than 90 seconds. My brain created all manner of scenarios during the day.

So I stopped by the neighbor's house last night and asked.

I was completely wrong.

:blushing:

Ah! I'm late for work.

OmCheeto said:
But the mystery was, how could such a fire start with such a huge BOOM, and then be out in less than 90 seconds. My brain created all manner of scenarios during the day.

The fire didn't start with the boom, so no cans of combustible liquids were required.

The boom was generated when the insulation around the power lines to their house failed, due to the heat.

I thought it was most fortuitous that the lines were positioned such that they became a very improbable fire alarm. Had the boom not woken everyone up, I'm pretty sure there would be no house left. And with the proximity of their fir trees, it's possible that...

2012.09.06.0643.firemap.jpg

... I'm now thinking of moving. :bugeye:

ps. The house is still without municipal power, as I can still hear their electric generator going.

What caused the fire?

Evo said:
What caused the fire?

As far as we could tell, crack heads.
According to a new report, Oregon ranks fourth in the country for illegal drug use by people over the age of 12.

His property, like mine, is unfenced. So people of the night, can wander in and out, and do lolz kind of stuff.

ps. I hear the generator no longer running, and the power lines were not droopy when I got home today. Life is returning to normal.

pps. Though I've woken up at 4 am the last two nights for no reason, and think about it, and can't get back to sleep, and... I should call a lawyer... :wink:

According to a new report, Oregon ranks fourth in the country for illegal drug use by people over the age of 12.

*wonders where Oregon ranks for illegal drug use by people under age 12*

Related to What is the prevalence of illegal drug use in Oregon?

1. When is Labor Day and the day after Labor Day?

Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September, which is typically the first Monday after September 1st. The day after Labor Day is always the Tuesday after Labor Day.

2. Why is the day after Labor Day significant?

The day after Labor Day marks the end of summer vacation for many students and the start of the new school year. It is also seen as the unofficial end of summer and the beginning of fall.

3. Are there any special events or traditions associated with the day after Labor Day?

Some cities and towns may hold parades or events to commemorate the end of summer and the start of the new school year. In some places, the day after Labor Day is also known as "Back to School" day, with many families shopping for school supplies and new clothes.

4. How did the day after Labor Day become a holiday?

The day after Labor Day was originally meant to be a day of rest for workers after the Labor Day holiday. However, it eventually became a day for students to return to school and for families to prepare for the new school year. It is not an official holiday, but is widely recognized as a significant day in the United States.

5. Is the day after Labor Day a national holiday?

No, the day after Labor Day is not a national holiday in the United States. However, many schools and businesses are closed on this day, and it is seen as an important day for students and families as they transition into the new school year.