What is the Presentation and Determination of Modules over a Field?

In summary, The module M with the given presentation can be determined by applying elementary row and column operations and reducing it to the ideal (x) in the polynomial ring k[x]. This is because M is isomorphic to the quotient of the polynomial ring k[x] by the ideal generated by x, which is the image of the homomorphism associated with the given matrix. The image of this homomorphism is always a submodule of k[x], which in this case is the ideal generated by x.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let k be a field and k[x] be the set of polynomials over that field. Given that M is a module with presentation
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1+ 3x & 2x & 3x \\ 1 + 2x & 1+ 2x -x^2 & 2x \\ x & x^2 & x \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
determine M.

Homework Equations

One can apply elementary row and column operations. In the event that one reduces a row or column to the point that there is only one non-zero element and that element is a unit, we can remove the row and column of that unit and the corresponding presentation is isomorphic to the original one.

The Attempt at a Solution

So what we have here originally is a exact sequence
[tex] k[x]^3 \xrightarrow{\phi} k[x]^3 \to M \to 0 [/tex]
so that we may take [itex] M \cong \text{coker}\phi [/itex].

If I play around with the matrix a bit, I can reduce it to (x) modulo mistakes in my matrix manipulation. Thus we get a new homomorphism
[tex] k[x] \xrightarrow{\varphi} k[x] \to \tilde M \to 0 [/tex]
with [itex] \tilde M \cong M [/itex].

So here's the part I'm not too sure about. We have [itex] \varphi: k[x] \to k[x] [/itex], so does this mean that [itex] 1 \mapsto x [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kreizhn said:

Homework Statement

Let k be a field and k[x] be the set of polynomials over that field. Given that M is a module with presentation
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1+ 3x & 2x & 3x \\ 1 + 2x & 1+ 2x -x^2 & 2x \\ x & x^2 & x \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
determine M.

Homework Equations

One can apply elementary row and column operations. In the event that one reduces a row or column to the point that there is only one non-zero element and that element is a unit, we can remove the row and column of that unit and the corresponding presentation is isomorphic to the original one.

The Attempt at a Solution

So what we have here originally is a exact sequence
[tex] k[x]^3 \xrightarrow{\phi} k[x]^3 \to M \to 0 [/tex]
so that we may take [itex] M \cong \text{coker}\phi [/itex].

If I play around with the matrix a bit, I can reduce it to (x) modulo mistakes in my matrix manipulation. Thus we get a new homomorphism
[tex] k[x] \xrightarrow{\varphi} k[x] \to \tilde M \to 0 [/tex]
with [itex] \tilde M \cong M [/itex].

So here's the part I'm not too sure about. We have [itex] \varphi: k[x] \to k[x] [/itex], so does this mean that [itex] 1 \mapsto x [/itex]?

Yes. In fact, we have here that [tex]M\cong k[X]/\xi(k[X])[/tex], where [itex]\xi[/itex] is the map associated with the matrix. So, we have [tex]M\cong k[X]/(X)\cong k[/tex] here.

Thanks micromass.

Yeah, that's what I had originally. Though I started doubting myself as to whether the image of the homomorphism was really just the ideal generated by x.

Kreizhn said:
Thanks micromass.

Yeah, that's what I had originally. Though I started doubting myself as to whether the image of the homomorphism was really just the ideal generated by x.

No need to doubt yourself :smile: The image of a k[X]-module is always a k[X]-module. Thus you can expect the image of k[X] to be a submodule of k[X], and submodules of k[X] are exactly the ideals of k[X].

Related to What is the Presentation and Determination of Modules over a Field?

1. What is a module in a presentation?

A module in a presentation is a self-contained unit of information that focuses on a specific topic or aspect of the overall presentation. It can be thought of as a chapter or section within a larger presentation.

2. How do you create a module in a presentation?

To create a module in a presentation, you can use various methods such as creating a new slide, using a transition to indicate a new section, or using a different color or design to visually separate the module from other slides. You can also use software tools specifically designed for creating modular presentations.

3. What is the purpose of using modules in a presentation?

The purpose of using modules in a presentation is to break down complex information into smaller, more manageable chunks. This helps to improve the organization and flow of the presentation and makes it easier for the audience to follow and retain the information being presented.

4. Can modules be used in all types of presentations?

Yes, modules can be used in all types of presentations, including lectures, workshops, seminars, and business presentations. They are especially useful for longer presentations or ones that cover multiple topics.

5. How can modules be used to engage the audience?

Modules can be used to engage the audience by creating a sense of structure and progression in the presentation. They also allow for interactive elements, such as quizzes or group activities, to be integrated into specific modules. Additionally, breaking up the presentation into smaller modules helps to keep the audience's attention and prevent information overload.