What is the practical application of the 7th derivative of a position function?

In summary, derivatives give slope, or rate of change with time. The first three time derivatives of displacement have commonly used names.
kristijo
PLEASE HELP!

Does anyone know the use of the 7th derivative of a position function? I know the first is velocity and the second acceleration, and the third is jerk. But what is the real work application for the 7th derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the rate of change of pop. Don't believe me well take a look here

Edit:

This is not common usage.

Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, this is new to me. Since when is there any use of a "practical" name for anything higher than the 3rd derivative of position? Sure they can be useful, but why bother assigning misleading nomenclature?

The forth deribavative is also of practical use, for example on a rollercosaster the fourth derivative will not be a constant function of time but the motion of a rollercoaster should be known with very high precsion (the motion of a rollercosater follows a very strict pattern, but the fact taht the higher derivatives of postion wrt time are not constant create the feeling that the motion of the rollercosater is 'out of control')

Kurdt, if you look at the end of the last paragraph of that document you linked to, the author states that they just made those names up on some usenet, which is a relief. I find it hard to believe that snap, crackle, and pop would ever become standard terminology. Besides, I thought whimsical names were only allowed in quantum mechanics :smile:

Derivatives give slope, or rate of change with time. Acceleration (3rd derivative of displacement) gives rate of change of velocity, but if velocity is not changing at a constant rate, we apply 4th derivative. If acceleration is not changing at a constant rate, we apply 5th, and so on.

Last edited:
Sirus said:
Acceleration (3rd derivative of displacement)

You mean 2nd.

Yes, sorry.

I think that this thread has run its course. I am not happy with a link to a practical joke which can be taken as meaning physics by someone not familiar with the facts. While you can assign names to any derivative of anything you wish, the fact is that only the first three time derivatives of displacement have commonly used names.

They are

[tex] \dot {x} = \mmbox{Velocity} [/tex]

[tex] \ddot {x} = \mmbox{Acceleration} [/tex]

[tex] \dddot {x} = \mmbox {Jerk} [/tex]

With that said I am going to edit out the link to the joke in this thread. If someone wants to repost it in the joke thread, please feel free. It does not belong in this fourm.

Last edited:

Related to What is the practical application of the 7th derivative of a position function?

1. What is the 7th derivative?

The 7th derivative is the seventh order derivative of a mathematical function. It represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function.

2. Why is the 7th derivative important?

The 7th derivative is important because it provides a more detailed understanding of the behavior of a function. It can help identify points of inflection, maximum and minimum values, and other critical points.

3. How is the 7th derivative calculated?

The 7th derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the 6th derivative. This process can be repeated until the desired order of derivative is reached.

4. What are the real-world applications of the 7th derivative?

The 7th derivative has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model complex systems and analyze their behavior, such as in predicting the motion of objects or the growth of populations.

5. How can the 7th derivative be used in data analysis?

The 7th derivative can be used in data analysis to identify patterns and trends in data. It can also be used to smooth out noisy data and make it easier to interpret. Additionally, the 7th derivative can be used to find the optimal parameters for a mathematical model that fits the data.