Why do some but not all derivatives have physical meaning?

In summary: There is a theory called string theory that says all the particles in the universe are made of tiny little strings, and that these strings can be stretched, pulled, and twisted. It's pretty wild.In summary, the derivative of jounce is physically meaningless because it doesn't have a name. It's not physically meaningless just because you don't have a name for it. There are models that describe higher dimensions, but they are not currently understood by physicists.
MiLara
I know that taking the derivative of certain functions that explain physical phenomena can lead to another statement describing the physical system, the most famous being the derivatives of position. That is,
position-->velocity-->acceleration-->jerk-->jounce...and taking any other further derivatives suddenly becomes physically meaningless. Is there any intuitive way of thinking about the "limits" of derivatives when it comes to describing physical or geometric systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you say the derivative of jounce is physically meaningless? Is it physically meaningless just because you don't have a name for it?

Khashishi said:
What makes you say the derivative of jounce is physically meaningless? Is it physically meaningless just because you don't have a name for it?
I guess what I meant by meaningless is when it fails to have applications in terms of describing a physical system.
Do you know of any applications of the derivative of jounce?

Lack of applications isn't the same as meaningless. And it's subjective.

MiLara said:
...and taking any other further derivatives suddenly becomes physically meaningless.
Suddenly? Doesn't the range of applications decrease with each derivative?

Khashishi said:
Lack of applications isn't the same as meaningless. And it's subjective.
What would be the meaning if I integrated the volume of a sphere?

V=4/3pir^3 -----> 4/9pi^r4

What does this integral describe if anything?

MiLara said:
What would be the meaning if I integrated the volume of a sphere?

V=4/3pir^3 -----> 4/9pi^r4

What does this integral describe if anything?
I messed up..the integral would be 1/3pir^4 +c

You aren't asking meaningful questions.

Likes weirdoguy
Khashishi said:
You aren't asking meaningful questions.
I'm sorry for the vagueness.
I know that the derivative of the volume of the sphere is equal to the surface area of the sphere. That is intuitive to imagine, because with each infinitesimal change in the radius, it's like adding an infinitely thin coat of paint on the outside of the sphere, which would be the surface area. Also I note that if I integrate geometric shapes, one dimension is added.
Now let's say I were to integrate the volume of a sphere, would this give me a description of a 4 dimensional object, and if so, is it only unintuitive to us because we live in a 3 dimensional world? Or can higher dimensions be utilized in mathematics but not physics?

MiLara said:
I'm sorry for the vagueness.
I know that the derivative of the volume of the sphere is equal to the surface area of the sphere. That is intuitive to imagine, because with each infinitesimal change in the radius, it's like adding an infinitely thin coat of paint on the outside of the sphere, which would be the surface area. Also I note that if I integrate geometric shapes, one dimension is added.
Now let's say I were to integrate the volume of a sphere, would this give me a description of a 4 dimensional object, and if so, is it only unintuitive to us because we live in a 3 dimensional world? Or can higher dimensions be utilized in mathematics but not physics?
I have heard there are models describing n dimensions, usually would be associated with topology in the mathematics field, however. The integral you speak of in the quote would describe a 4-D volume, of infinitesimally summed together 3-D volumes. Any topologists that could give the proper term would be nice.

Anyway, it is not that each mathematical operation makes it physically meaningless. The meaning is already put into the equations, and that is by defining x and t. For the derivatives above:
x - position, t- Time
dx/dt = velocity = v - change in position x over change in time.
dv/dt = acceleration = a - change in the velocity.
da/dt = jerk = j - change in acceleration
and so on.

The mathematics may blur out the physics, but once you have a model described as differential equations, with each parameter and variable and function defined, the physics gets carried to the end result and would produce a relationship between them all, that would have a physical meaning.
Basically, if you have a meaning in the equation to begin with, the is no reason it would be lost.

A very fundamental issue which is not well taught. Not only does mathematics stand alone, if we lived in a very different universe, the utility of particular parts of math may be more or less useful, but math is not just separate from physics, when something is proved true in math, that's it. (Unless there is an error discovered later in the proof.) In physics, or any science, observations rule. Any beautiful theory can be destroyed by an ugly fact. More important, you may have a theory in physics that is believed true for hundreds of years before a contradiction is found.

Now for a disturbing question. Is quantum mechanics math or physics? What about string theory? Right now the best we can say is that there is a mathematics called QM which seems to correspond to the real world (actually QCD now). The same may be true of string theory, and even it may replace QM (technically as a physical theory) but the mathematics developed to support QM will still be true, even if string theory replaces QCD in physics. The disturbing question? Why does this math work so well?

MiLara said:
I guess what I meant by meaningless is when it fails to have applications in terms of describing a physical system.
Do you know of any applications of the derivative of jounce?

The cam shaft in your car is designed using higher derivatives of position. Jounce or jerk is used at the peak and foot of the cam where the acceleration changes sign, higher derivatives are involved as well.

eachus said:
Now for a disturbing question. Is quantum mechanics math or physics?
Quantum Mechanics might be something in between, like hyper-applied mathematics.

Related to Why do some but not all derivatives have physical meaning?

1. Why are some derivatives considered to have physical meaning while others do not?

Some derivatives, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, have physical meaning because they directly relate to the physical properties and behaviors of objects in the real world. These derivatives can be easily observed and measured, making them relevant in many scientific applications. On the other hand, derivatives such as higher order derivatives or derivatives of abstract concepts may not have a direct physical interpretation, making them less useful in practical applications.

2. Can the physical meaning of a derivative change over time or in different contexts?

Yes, the physical meaning of a derivative can change depending on the context in which it is being used. For example, the derivative of position with respect to time (velocity) can have different physical interpretations in different scenarios, such as in one-dimensional motion vs. circular motion. Additionally, the physical meaning of a derivative can change over time as new scientific theories and discoveries are made.

3. What factors determine whether a derivative has physical meaning?

The factors that determine whether a derivative has physical meaning include the underlying physical phenomenon being studied, the units of measurement being used, and the mathematical relationship between the variables involved. Generally, derivatives that represent fundamental physical quantities, such as displacement, force, or energy, are more likely to have physical meaning.

4. Are there any derivatives that have physical meaning but are not directly observable or measurable?

Yes, there are some derivatives that have physical meaning but are not directly observable or measurable. For example, the rate of change of temperature with respect to time (thermal conductivity) is a derivative that has physical meaning but cannot be directly observed or measured. However, it can be indirectly calculated using other observable variables and is important in many areas of physics and engineering.

5. Can a derivative have physical meaning in one context but not in another?

Yes, a derivative can have physical meaning in one context but not in another. This is because the physical interpretation of a derivative is highly dependent on the specific situation and variables involved. For example, the derivative of position with respect to time may have physical meaning in the context of motion, but not in the context of economics. It is important to consider the context and variables when determining the physical meaning of a derivative.