What is the Potential of a Given Function Independent of Path?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the potential of a given function F and using equations to determine the correct answer. There was confusion over one of the equations and it was later clarified that the partial of f with respect to z was incorrectly written. The correct answer was found to be x^2y^3 - x^2z^3.
SlideMan

Homework Statement

I need to determine the potential of the following function:

[tex]F = [2x(y^3 - z^3), 3x^2y^2, -3x^2z^2][/tex]

The equation is given to be independent of path, and [tex]F \cdot dr = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2xy^3 - 2xz^3 \Rightarrow f(x,y,z) = x^2y^3 - x^2z^3 + g(y,z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 3x^2y^2 = 3x^2y^2 + \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} \Rightarrow g(y,z) = h(z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -3x^2z^2 = \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} \Rightarrow h(z) = -x^2z^3[/tex]

So, [tex]f(x,y,z) = x^2y^3 - 2x^2z^3[/tex]

This answer doesn't check out. Taking the partial of f with respect to x, y, and z does not yield the initial equation. What am I missing? Is there a better way to go about this?

The correct answer turns out to be [tex]x^2y^3 - x^2z^3[/tex], which is my initial equation for f without h(z).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SlideMan said:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -3x^2z^2 = \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} \Rightarrow h(z) = -x^2z^3[/tex]

I think you got this line wrong

^ OK...what am I missing?

Working backwards...

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(-x^2z^3) = -3x^2z^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -3x^2z^2 = -3x^2z^2 + \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} \Rightarrow h(z) = 0 [/tex]

Im having trouble with latex, but your partial f over partial z which is -3x^2z^2 = -3x^2z^2 + partial h over partial z. so, h(z) = 0=g(y,x)

Last edited:
^ Ahh...got it. I really shouldn't be doing this so late at night. :) Thanks!

Related to What is the Potential of a Given Function Independent of Path?

1. What is "determination of a potential" in scientific research?

The determination of a potential refers to the process of measuring and analyzing the electrochemical potential difference between two points in a system, often done in order to understand the chemical or physical properties of a substance.

2. What methods are commonly used to determine potential in scientific experiments?

The most commonly used methods for determining potential include potentiometry, voltammetry, and cyclic voltammetry. These techniques involve measuring the voltage or current between two electrodes in a solution.

3. How does the determination of potential contribute to the understanding of a substance's properties?

The potential of a substance can reveal important information about its chemical and physical properties, such as its reactivity, stability, and conductivity. By measuring and analyzing potential, scientists can gain insight into the behavior and characteristics of a substance.

4. Is the determination of potential limited to electrochemistry?

No, while the determination of potential is most commonly used in electrochemical studies, it can also be applied in other fields such as materials science, biochemistry, and environmental science. In these areas, potential measurements can provide valuable information on the properties and behavior of different substances.

5. What are some practical applications of the determination of potential?

The determination of potential has many practical applications, including the development of new materials, the analysis of environmental samples, and the study of biological processes. It is also commonly used in industries such as corrosion control, battery technology, and pharmaceuticals.