What is the polar form of the complex number 3-4i

In summary: The correct polar form of the complex number 3-4i is 5(cos(arctan(-4/3))+i*sin(arctan(-4/3))), just as you stated. The given answer, 5(3/5-i*4/5), is not in polar form.
willibre

Homework Statement

What is the polar form of the complex number 3-4i?

Homework Equations

z=r*cos(theta)+i*r*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

5(cos(arctan(-4/3))-i*sin(arctan(-4/3)))

This is what I thought the correct answer would be, but it was a multiple choice quiz and this was not one of the options. The correct answer, according to the quiz, was 5(3/5-i*4/5). I don't see how that is in polar form, since the cos and sin of theta were both evaulated. If that is actually correct, then couldn't you simply make any standard complex number polar form by factoring out r?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the angle theta in question, the triangle is a 3-4-5 right triangle. cos(theta) = 3/5 and sin(theta) = -4/5.

willibre said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

z=r*cos(theta)+i*r*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

5(cos(arctan(-4/3))-i*sin(arctan(-4/3)))

This is what I thought the correct answer would be, but it was a multiple choice quiz and this was not one of the options. The correct answer, according to the quiz, was 5(3/5-i*4/5). I don't see how that is in polar form, since the cos and sin of theta were both evaulated. If that is actually correct, then couldn't you simply make any standard complex number polar form by factoring out r?

Except for the arithmetic mistake already pointed out, I agree with you. Some authors might call the polar form [itex]r\, cis(\theta)[/itex] or [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] which would make the argument even stronger that their "best" answer isn't appropriate.

I guess my question is, why is it still considered polar form if you carry out the evaluation of cos and sin, thus removing theta? Why wouldn't any polar form then just be r(a/r+ib/r). I guess I don't understand what is technically considered polar form.

willibre said:
I guess my question is, why is it still considered polar form if you carry out the evaluation of cos and sin, thus removing theta?

It isn't. The answers to that test question were incorrectly presented.

Related to What is the polar form of the complex number 3-4i

The polar form of a complex number is a way to represent it in terms of its magnitude (or absolute value) and angle. It is expressed in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

How do you convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form (a+bi) to polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)), you can use the following steps:

1. Calculate the magnitude using the formula |z| = √(a² + b²)
  2. Calculate the angle using the formula θ = arctan(b/a)
  3. Substitute the values for r and θ into the polar form formula.

Can a complex number have a negative magnitude in polar form?

No, the magnitude of a complex number in polar form is always positive. The negative sign is accounted for in the angle component, which can be negative depending on the quadrant the complex number is located in.

What is the importance of using polar form for complex numbers?

Polar form is useful for performing operations on complex numbers, such as multiplication and division, as it allows for easier calculation of the magnitude and angles. It also provides a visual representation of a complex number in terms of its distance and direction from the origin.

Can you convert a complex number from polar form to rectangular form?

Yes, you can convert a complex number from polar form to rectangular form by using the trigonometric identity cosθ + isinθ = e^(iθ), and then using the formula a = rcosθ and b = rsinθ to find the real and imaginary components.