What Is the Physics Behind Particle Traveling Over Voltage?

In summary: The way it's drawn here, it looks like the vertical axis is position and the horizontal axis is charge.In summary, The conversation is about a diagram that represents the probability of finding a charged particle in a certain position when traveling over a voltage. The person asking for clarification is wondering if this is related to quantum tunneling. Another person suggests looking up quantum tunneling and explains that the concept is different because there is no barrier involved. They also mention that the phenomenon is related to Schrodinger's equation and suggest looking into the particle in a box model. The original person shares that the diagram shows the position and amount of charge for the particle. There is some confusion about the axes of the diagram and the accuracy of the image.
TBert
A friend of mine showed me a diagram like this:
aWp6wGv.png

I think they said it was describing the probability of finding a charged particle in a certain place when traveling over a voltage. They said that if the particle doesn't have enough energy to make it across then it gets stuck at the beginning of the voltage. I'm wondering if anyone can identify what effect/physics law this is a give me a better description of how it works

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Look up quantum tunneling.

Thanks
Bill
They said it was different from quantum tunneling though because there wasn't a barrier the was being passed

TBert said:
They said it was different from quantum tunneling though because there wasn't a barrier the was being passed

Its a potential barrier. If it has enough energy it can jump the barrier. That's the funny thing about QM because it doesn't have an energy until actually measured it can be found outside a barrier that doesn't require an infinite energy to jump.

The QM particle in a box might be slightly more instructive for you. Have a look at the infinite barrier box first then the case of a finite wall:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/pbox.html

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Its a potential barrier. If it has enough energy it can jump the barrier. That's the funny thing about QM because it doesn't have an energy until actually measured it can be found outside a barrier that doesn't require an infinite energy to jump.

The QM particle in a box might be slightly more instructive for you. Have a look at the infinite barrier box first then the case of a finite wall:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/pbox.html

Thanks
Bill
Are you sure it is a potential barrier? They seemed very sure about the fact that it wasn't a barrier or quantum tunneling. They made it seem like it was a force to the electricity.

TBert said:
They made it seem like it was a force to the electricity.
That's what a potential barrier is.
People use the word "tunnelling" more or less narrowly to describe the phenomena that are observed when an incident wave encounters a change in potential, but the physics you're looking for is Schrodinger's equation for a one-dimensional potential... But I don't think your diagram corresponds to any correct solution of that equation.

TBert said:
A friend of mine showed me a diagram like this

Did he tell you what the horizontal and vertical axes of the diagram represent? If not, it's really hard to know what the diagram is supposed to be telling you.

Looks like someone took a sloppy representation of the first excited state of a particle in a well and elevated it above the well. I certainly wouldn't put any stock in this image.

PeterDonis said:
Did he tell you what the horizontal and vertical axes of the diagram represent? If not, it's really hard to know what the diagram is supposed to be telling you.
For the curvy line on top the vertical axes is the amount of particle in the position and the horizontal axes is the position (like in one dimension). For the bottom line the vertical and horizontal axes show where the charge is.

TBert said:
the amount of particle

What does this mean? "Amount of particle" is not a physical quantity.

TBert said:
For the bottom line the vertical and horizontal axes show where the charge is.

Are you sure?

Likes bhobba

Related to What Is the Physics Behind Particle Traveling Over Voltage?

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the force that moves electric charges through a conductor.

2. What is particle traveling?

Particle traveling refers to the movement of a subatomic particle, such as an electron, through a medium or electric field.

3. How does voltage affect particle travel?

Voltage plays a crucial role in particle travel by providing the electric field that causes the particles to move. The higher the voltage, the stronger the electric field and the faster the particles will travel.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and particle acceleration?

Voltage and particle acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the acceleration of the particles also increases. This can be seen in devices like particle accelerators, where very high voltages are used to accelerate particles to high speeds.

5. Why is voltage important in particle physics?

Voltage is important in particle physics because it allows us to control and manipulate the movement of subatomic particles. By varying the voltage, we can change the speed and direction of particle travel, which is essential in studying their properties and behavior.