What is the physical meaning of moment about an axis?

In summary: The physical meaning is found in closing a door. If I use my finger to close a door pushing on the door knob then I need to use a some small amount of force. If I instead move close to the door hinge then I have to use a lot more force to close it. In either case, the moment for the door remains the same because as the radius is decreased the force must be increased. Moment is also known as torque a kind of angular cousin to force.
jehan60188
i.e.

"A F = <0,0,10> is exerted at the point (1,1,1)
what is the moment about the X axis?"

i know the answer is <sqrt(3),sqrt(3),sqrt(3),> DOT (<1,1,1>x<0,0,10>)
but the physical meaning of that escapes me.
in what applications would an axis be more useful than a point?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
moments a vector that is the cross product of R and some force ie R x F

The physical meaning is found in closing a door. If I use my finger to close a door pushing on the door knob then I need to use a some small amount of force. If I instead move close to the door hinge then I have to use a lot more force to close it. In either case, the moment for the door remains the same because as the radius is decreased the force must be increased. Moment is also known as torque a kind of angular cousin to force.

jedishrfu said:
moments a vector that is the cross product of R and some force ie R x F

The physical meaning is found in closing a door. If I use my finger to close a door pushing on the door knob then I need to use a some small amount of force. If I instead move close to the door hinge then I have to use a lot more force to close it. In either case, the moment for the door remains the same because as the radius is decreased the force must be increased. Moment is also known as torque a kind of angular cousin to force.

why is that not calculated by the moment about the point on the hinge?
what is the physical meaning behind calculating it across the entire hinge-axis?

cross-product indicates an axis and gives a notion of rotational direction: clockwise vs counterclockwise.

Moment is basically a measurement of how the mass is distributed about a point or axis. The larger the values, the more torque is needed to spin it.

You would want to calculate about an axis if you're designing a rotating part.

Just as a for instance, if you have a nominal axis of rotation of a part, and then a worst case tolerance stackup, you might need to see what that does to the part's dynamics if it was machines to the worst case.

so, the necessary force/torque to make a wrench work should be calculated by using a point, but the force necessary to raise a bridge should be calculated using a line (the line being the 'hinge' equal to the width of the bridge)?

Related to What is the physical meaning of moment about an axis?

1. What is the definition of moment about an axis?

The moment about an axis is a physical quantity that measures the rotational effect of a force around a fixed point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis.

2. How does moment about an axis differ from moment about a point?

The moment about an axis and the moment about a point are both measurements of rotational effect, but the moment about an axis is calculated using the distance from the axis, while the moment about a point is calculated using the perpendicular distance from the point.

3. What are some real-life applications of moment about an axis?

Moment about an axis is used in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to analyze the stability of structures, calculate the torque required for rotational motion, and understand the forces acting on the human body during movement.

4. How is moment about an axis related to angular momentum?

Moment about an axis and angular momentum are both quantities that measure rotational motion. Moment about an axis is a measure of the rotational effect of a force, while angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. The two are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

5. How do you calculate moment about an axis for a system of multiple forces?

To calculate the moment about an axis for a system of multiple forces, you can use the vector sum of the individual moments about the axis. This can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of each force by its distance from the axis and then summing all of the individual moments together.