What is the physical interpretation of the Lagrangian condition b2-ac ≠ 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lagrangian for a physical system, which can be written in a specific form with arbitrary constants a and b. The equations of motion are determined and the physical system is identified as a coupled 2D harmonic oscillator. The significance of the condition b^2-ac is that it allows for two distinct modes of oscillation. Additionally, this is a general feature of Lagrangians with quadratic coordinates.
humanist rho

Homework Statement

A Lagrangian for a particular physical system can be written as,

[itex]L^{\prime }=\frac{m}{2}(a\dot{x}^{2}+2b\dot{x}\dot{y}+c\dot{y}^{2})-\frac{K%
}{2}(ax^{2}+2bxy+cy^{2})[/itex]

where a and b are arbitrary constants but subject to the condition that b2
-ac≠0.What are the equations of motion?Examine particularly two cases a=0=c and b=0,c=a.What is the physical system described by above lagrangian.? What is the significance for the condition b2-ac?

2. The attempt at a solution

I've done the mathematics.But donno the physics!

Equations of motion are,
[itex]ma\ddot{x}+mb\dot{y}+Kax+Kby=0[/itex]

[itex]ma\ddot{y}+mb\dot{x}+Kcy+Kbx=0[/itex]

I think these equations represent coupled 2D harmonic oscillator.(i'm not sure)

when a=c=0,
[itex]mb\dot{y}+Kby=0[/itex]
[itex]mb\dot{x}+Kbx=0[/itex]

when b=0,c=-a,

[itex]ma\ddot{x}+Kax=0[/itex]
[itex]ma\ddot{y}+Kay=0[/itex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! In general, the system described by the lagrangian represents two "independent" harmonic oscillators, in a sense I'm going to explain: you can collect the coordinates in a vector [itex]\vec{v}=(x,y)^t[/itex] and the coefficient a,b,c in a matrix M such that [itex]M_{11}=a[/itex], [itex]M_{12}=M_{21}=b[/itex], [itex]M_{22}=c[/itex]; the lagrangian takes the following form:

[itex]L=\frac{m}{2}\dot{\vec{v}^t}M\dot{\vec{v}}-\frac{K}{2}\vec{v}^t M \vec{v}[/itex].

Since M is symmetric, we diagonalize it through an orthogonal matrix O:
[itex]M=O^t M^{\text{diag}} O[/itex].

We can now define two new coordinates x' and y' that can be incorporated in a vector [itex]\vec{v'}=(x',y')^t[/itex] which is equal by definition to

[itex]\vec{v'}=O\vec{v}[/itex].

In this case the lagrangian has manifestly the form of two decoupled harmonc oscillators (if b^2-ac different from zero).
The significance of b^2-ac different from zero means that the two eigenvalues of M are different from zero and, so there are two modes which oscillate.

As far as I know (and if I don't forget any hypothesis), this is a quite general feature of lagrangian which are at most quadratic in the coordinates. I hope this is right and the answer you need,
Francesco

Related to What is the physical interpretation of the Lagrangian condition b2-ac ≠ 0?

What is the Lagrangian condition problem?

The Lagrangian condition problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to constraints. It is used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving multiple variables and constraints.

How is the Lagrangian condition problem solved?

The Lagrangian condition problem is typically solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves finding the critical points of the Lagrangian function. These points represent the optimal solution to the problem.

What are the constraints in the Lagrangian condition problem?

The constraints in the Lagrangian condition problem are usually equations or inequalities that must be satisfied in order to find the optimal solution. These constraints can be physical limitations or mathematical relationships between variables.

What is the difference between the Lagrangian condition problem and the Lagrangian multiplier method?

The Lagrangian condition problem refers to the general optimization problem, while the Lagrangian multiplier method specifically refers to the technique of using Lagrange multipliers to solve the problem. The method is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who first developed it in the late 18th century.

What are some real-life applications of the Lagrangian condition problem?

The Lagrangian condition problem has many practical applications, such as in economics for optimizing production and resource allocation, in physics for determining the path of least resistance in a system, and in engineering for designing efficient structures and processes.