What is the photon sphere and where is the singularity in a black hole?

In summary, a black hole is formed from the collapse of a supermassive star, and the radius of the core must be compressed to a value known as the Schwarzschild radius before it can become a black hole. The photon sphere is the radius at which photons can perform circular orbits around the black hole and the singularity is the center of the black hole.
AbsoluteZer0
Hi,

I somewhat know the basics about black holes. Tell me if I'm wrong.

--A black hole is formed when a supermassive star (one of many theories of the formation of black holes) burns out due to exhausted fusion reactions. It can no longer support its own mass and the core collapses in on itself. The radius of the core must be compressed to a value known as the Schwarzschild Radius before it can become a black hole.--

So far is that correct?
I've heard a bit about the Photon Sphere of the singularity. What is the photon sphere? And is the singularity the center of a black hole?

Thanks,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AbsoluteZer0 said:
Hi,

I somewhat know the basics about black holes. Tell me if I'm wrong.

--A black hole is formed when a supermassive star (one of many theories of the formation of black holes) burns out due to exhausted fusion reactions. It can no longer support its own mass and the core collapses in on itself. The radius of the core must be compressed to a value known as the Schwarzschild Radius before it can become a black hole.--

So far is that correct?
Essentially, yes.

I've heard a bit about the Photon Sphere of the singularity. What is the photon sphere?
The photon sphere is the radius at which photons can perform circular orbits around the black hole. Note that the Schwarzschild radius occurrs at r=2M, while the photon sphere is at r=3M. Another interesting point you might be curious about is the radius of the innermost circular orbit, which occurs at r=6M. If you imagine you're a ship orbiting a black hole, what this is saying is that in closer than r=6M, you can't orbit in a stable circle (small perturbations will either throw you into the hole or out of the system).
And is the singularity the center of a black hole?

In a rough sense, yes.

The unit conventions used by Nabeshin may be a little confusing. In terms of size, the photon sphere is defined by r = 3R/2, where r = photon sphere radius and R = schwarzschild radius. It cannot be less than this size because the photon would cross the event horizon at aphelion. Note as well this is an unstable orbit and can only be achieved by a massless partice. For anything massive, the possible orbits are more distant, as also noted by Nabeshin. Note also this formula applies only to the simple Schwarzschild [non-rotating] black hole. It gets ugly when a black hole is rotating [e.g., Kerr].

Related to What is the photon sphere and where is the singularity in a black hole?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. What are the three main components of a black hole?

The three main components of a black hole are the singularity, the event horizon, and the ergosphere. The singularity is the point of infinite density at the center of the black hole. The event horizon is the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. And the ergosphere is the region just outside the event horizon where the space is dragged along with the black hole's rotation.

3. How is the mass of a black hole measured?

The mass of a black hole can be measured by observing the effects of its gravitational pull on surrounding objects. Scientists can also measure the mass by studying the orbits of objects around the black hole and using Kepler's laws of motion.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. This includes matter, light, and even information. However, there is a concept called Hawking radiation which suggests that very small particles can escape from a black hole over a very long period of time.

5. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three main types of black holes: stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. Stellar black holes are formed from the collapse of a single star and have a mass of a few times that of our sun. Intermediate black holes have a mass of hundreds to thousands of times that of our sun and their origins are still unknown. Supermassive black holes have a mass of millions to billions of times that of our sun and are found at the center of most galaxies, including our own Milky Way.