What is the perfect strategy for each player in this 2 by 4 array game?

• Thread starter JimBob81345
  • Start date
In summary, the perfect strategy for each player in this 2 by 4 array game is to carefully consider their opponent's moves and make decisions based on the position of the game board. It is important to prioritize capturing the center square and creating diagonal lines, while also blocking your opponent's potential diagonal lines. Players should also be aware of the possibility of a draw and adjust their strategy accordingly. Overall, a combination of offensive and defensive tactics is crucial for success in this game.
JimBob81345
My teacher gave our class this problem to do
Two players take turns placing an unused number from
{1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8} into one of the empty squares in a 2 by 4 array. The game ends once all the squares are tiled. The 1st player wins if the product of the numbers in the top row is greater. The second
player wins if the product of the numbers in the bottom row is greater. What is the perfect strategy for each player.
Please help me, if you cannot provide the answer please give me a hint. This problem has been bugging me for so long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

This problem belongs in our homework section. Please repost it in
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/precalculus-mathematics-homework.155/

There will be a template inserted (automatically) which you should fill out, esp. part (3), so we can see, what your thoughts have been so far and where you might have problems. I leave this here, so you can copy and paste parts of your text. Thanks.