What is the PDE for the general solution U(x,y) = Phi(x+y) + Psi(x-2y)?

In summary: The only difference is that the first equation is xi+yi=-1 and the second equation is x-yi+1. My PDE now looks like this: 2U_xx+U_xy-U_yy=-1
shortwave

Homework Statement

Find the PDE for this general solution:
U(x,y) = Phi(x+y) + Psi(x-2y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I let my xi = x+y and my eta = x-2y and found that both roots are {-1,1/2}. From that I multiplied: (dy/dx - root1)*(dy/dx - root2) to give me the function that will give me my little a,b,c for the quadratic equation. But now I'm stuck and am not sure where to go. Any hints or ideas would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the specific technique you are trying to use is. But one PDE is clearly [tex]\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial \xi \partial \eta}=0[/tex], right? Now just change variables to x and y.

Sorry, I should clarify. The PDE that I'm trying to find from the general solution should look like 2U_xx + U_xy - U_yy = 0.

Ok. Then you just want to factor [tex]2 \partial_x^2+\partial_x \partial_y-\partial_y^2[/tex] into linear factors, right?

Since this is a hyperbolic pde (discriminant > 0) I would find the characteristics by using a form of the quadratic equation, which would give me two roots, xi and eta. But I'm working backwards; I have the roots but not I need to get back to the hyperbolic pde. Does this help?

shortwave said:
Since this is a hyperbolic pde (discriminant > 0) I would find the characteristics by using a form of the quadratic equation, which would give me two roots, xi and eta. But I'm working backwards; I have the roots but not I need to get back to the hyperbolic pde. Does this help?

Not exactly. You are basically given xi and eta as functions of x and y, right? I don't see where any quadratic roots come into it. Go back to the PDE in my post #2. All you have to do is change the partial derivatives wrt xi and eta to partial derivatives wrt x and y (use the chain rule) - then you get a PDE in x and y.

Thanks Dick! I managed to get a similar pde.

Related to What is the PDE for the general solution U(x,y) = Phi(x+y) + Psi(x-2y)?

1. What is a PDE (partial differential equation)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function of multiple independent variables and its partial derivatives with respect to those variables. It is used to describe complex physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How do you solve a PDE from a general solution?

To solve a PDE from a general solution, you need to first determine the general solution of the PDE by finding all possible functions that satisfy the equation. Then, you can use initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution that fits the given scenario.

3. What are the types of PDEs?

There are three main types of PDEs: elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic PDEs are used to describe steady-state phenomena, parabolic PDEs are used to describe time-dependent phenomena, and hyperbolic PDEs are used to describe wave-like phenomena.

4. What are some common methods for solving PDEs?

Some common methods for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, numerical methods (such as finite difference and finite element methods), and transform methods (such as Fourier and Laplace transforms).

5. What are the applications of PDEs in science and engineering?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and understand various phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, population dynamics, and financial markets.