What is the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x if y=0?

In summary, the provided conversation is discussing finding the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x, where f(x,y) is defined as x^2 * sin(y)/y when y is not equal to 0 and 0 when y is equal to 0. The confusion arises when trying to apply the limit definition of a derivative when y is equal to 0. However, since y is treated as a constant when finding the partial derivative with respect to x, the limit of sin(y)/y is irrelevant and the partial derivative is simply 0.
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Find [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex] if:
[tex]f(x,y) = \begin{cases}x^2\frac{\sin y}{y}, & y\neq 0\\0, &y=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If [itex]y\neq 0 [/itex], then it's simple, but I get confused about the second part. How can I exactly utilize the limit definition of a derivative when I'm told that y=0?
[tex]f_x = \frac{\sin y}{y}\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{(x+t)^2 - x^2}{t} = 2x\frac{\sin y}{y}[/tex]. If y = 0 can I say that [itex]\frac{\sin y}{y} = 1[/itex] since that would be the limit as y approaches 0, but y is already fixed at 0. Does the partial derivative not exist if y = 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:

Homework Statement

Find [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex] if:
[tex]f(x,y) = \begin{cases}x^2\frac{\sin y}{y}, & y\neq 0\\0, &y=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If [itex]y\neq 0 [/itex], then it's simple, but I get confused about the second part. How can I exactly utilize the limit definition of a derivative when I'm told that y=0?
[tex]f_x = \frac{\sin y}{y}\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{(x+t)^2 - x^2}{t} = 2x\frac{\sin y}{y}[/tex]. If y = 0 can I say that [itex]\frac{\sin y}{y} = 1[/itex] since that would be the limit as y approaches 0, but y is already fixed at 0. Does the partial derivative not exist if y = 0?

Wow! You weren't kidding when you said you're confused.

Since you want to find ∂f(x,y) / ∂x, then y is treated as a constant, so it is irrelevant what the limit of sin(y)/y is.

And I am treating it as a constant. When the arguments are taken only on the x-axis I would say that the derivative is [itex]\frac{0}{0}2x [/itex], which is gibberish and leads me to believe that the function is not partially differentiable with respect to x when y=0. Is this conclusion correct, incorrect and/or incomplete?

nuuskur said:
And I am treating it as a constant. When the arguments are taken only on the x-axis I would say that the derivative is [itex]\frac{0}{0}2x [/itex], which is gibberish and leads me to believe that the function is not partially differentiable with respect to x when y=0. Is this conclusion correct or incorrect?

Since f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0, then what is ∂ 0 / ∂x ? Remember, f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0 presumably holds for any and all values of x.

SteamKing said:
Since f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0, then what is ∂ 0 / ∂x ? Remember, f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0 presumably holds for any and all values of x.
Oh right, I am dumb. It's 0.

Related to What is the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x if y=0?

1. What is partial differentiation and why is it important in science?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It is important in science because it allows us to analyze how a system or process changes in response to specific variables, which is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves taking the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. In contrast, ordinary differentiation involves taking the derivative of a single-variable function with respect to its independent variable. This means that in partial differentiation, we are only considering the effect of one variable on the function, while in ordinary differentiation, we are looking at the overall rate of change of the function.

3. What is the purpose of using partial differentiation in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in real-world applications to analyze the behavior of complex systems or processes. It allows us to determine how different variables affect the output of a system and to identify critical points such as maximum or minimum values. This information is crucial in making informed decisions and optimizing processes in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

4. Can partial differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, partial differentiation can be applied to any type of function, whether it is linear, polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric. However, the process may become more complex for functions with multiple variables and may require advanced techniques such as the chain rule or implicit differentiation.

5. How can partial differentiation be used to solve real-world problems?

Partial differentiation can be used to solve real-world problems by providing a quantitative understanding of how a system or process changes in response to specific variables. By analyzing the rate of change of a function at a specific point or finding critical points, we can make predictions, optimize processes, and solve real-world problems in various fields, including physics, economics, and engineering.