What is the partial derivative of f with respect to w?

In summary, the problem of finding the partial derivative ∂f / ∂w for the given function f(x,y) = x+2y and w = x+y cannot be solved without further information. It is underspecified and there are multiple possible solutions depending on the assumptions made about the relationship between the variables.
slr77

Homework Statement

Define f(x,y) = x+2y, w = x+y. What is ∂f / ∂w?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f = w+y so:

∂f/∂w = ∂(w+y)/∂w = ∂w/∂w + ∂y/∂w = 1 + ∂y/∂w. But I'm really not sure if this is right and if it right so far, I can't figure out what ∂y/∂w should be...

Physics news on Phys.org
slr77 said:
∂f/∂w = ∂(w+y)/∂w
This is right.

Now partial derivative means the derivative of given parameter.The other parameters will be assumed constant.Cause they are not changing respet to that parameter.I mean If I set two parameter a and b and make a fuction using them (It can be anything).Lets call it f(a,b)=a+b then ∂f/∂a means derivative of function respet to a not b.So we will assume b is constant and ∂f/∂a=1 so.Do the same thing.

@RyanH42: the problem here: which other variable is supposed to be constant? Why should it be y (as you seem to suggest), not x, or x-y? Those would lead to different answers.

RyanH42 said:
This is right.

Now partial derivative means the derivative of given parameter.The other parameters will be assumed constant.Cause they are not changing respet to that parameter.I mean If I set two parameter a and b and make a fuction using them (It can be anything).Lets call it f(a,b)=a+b then ∂f/∂a means derivative of function respet to a not b.So we will assume b is constant and ∂f/∂a=1 so.Do the same thing.

But w depends implicitly on y so can I really take y as constant? If I get y in terms w (y = w-x) and continue this way (so 1 + ∂y/∂w = 1 + ∂(w-x)/∂w). I just get an endless chain of 1+1+1+1+1... That's why I think what I'm doing is not right.

I don't know but he answer might be this ∂f/∂w=∂f/∂y.∂y/∂w+∂f/∂x.∂x/∂w look this rule.

RyanH42 said:
I don't know but he answer might be this ∂f/∂w=∂f/∂y.∂y/∂w+∂f/∂x.∂x/∂w look this rule.

I think this is the chain rule but we haven't learned that yet. I'll read ahead and come back to this and make sense of it but apparently there should be a way to do this without directly making use of the chain rule.

I have an idea ∂f/∂w=1 + ∂y/∂w now ∂f/∂w=1 + 1/∂w/∂y then ∂f/∂w=2 Its a trick but I don't know its ture or not.I know it was stupid idea

Last edited:
This problem can't be solved, it is underspecified.

RyanH42 said:
I have an idea ∂f/∂w=1 + ∂y/∂w now ∂f/∂w=1 + 1/∂w/∂y then ∂f/∂w=2 Its a trick but I don't know its ture or not.I know it was stupid idea

So ∂y/∂w + 1/∂w/∂y = 0? It wasn't actually a stupid idea, you just made an algebra mistake.

verty said:
This problem can't be solved, it is underspecified.

Hmm, ok. I think I should have posted the full problem because I think it's more open ended than what my original post conveys:

problem.PNG

I'm just treating w as the variable and going from there but maybe that's not the right definition? So is there some way to do this problem that makes sense?

slr77 said:
Hmm, ok. I think I should have posted the full problem because I think it's more open ended than what my original post conveys:

View attachment 85560

I'm just treating w as the variable and going from there but maybe that's not the right definition? So is there some way to do this problem that makes sense?

I still maintain this is a flawed question and you should move on. It doesn't contain enough information to answer it.

verty said:
So ∂y/∂w + 1/∂w/∂y = 0?
Is this true ? or You mean ∂w/∂w + 1/∂w/∂y ? I am confused

If you use chain rule you get 2 again.I think answer is 2.
##∂f/∂w=∂f/∂y.∂y/∂w+∂f/∂x.∂x/∂w##
##∂f/∂y=2##
##∂y/∂w=1/2##
##∂f/∂x=1##
##∂x/∂w=1##
So answer is 2 I guess.

Whats your's idea ?

Last edited:
##f(x,y) = x + 2y##
##{∂f \over ∂w} = {∂x \over ∂w} + 2 {∂y \over ∂w}##

The problem happens because we don't know what ##{∂x \over ∂w}## and ##{∂y \over ∂w}## are, we don't have enough information to determine them. If this isn't clear, be sure to look again at partial derivatives and what they mean.

Last edited:
RyanH42 said:
##∂y/∂w=1/2##
##∂x/∂w=1##
w=x+y. Why should the two derivatives be different?

Also, the rule doesn't work like that with partial derivatives. You could introduce arbitrary new parameters (e. g. z=x) and add more and more terms that would change the result.

Here my last idea then.The question ask's us for general solution and we do the general solution : ##{∂f \over ∂w} = {∂x \over ∂w} + 2 {∂y \over ∂w}## or
##{∂f \over ∂w} = {∂f \over ∂x}{∂x \over ∂w} +{∂f \over ∂w}{∂y \over ∂w}##
Part b asks solve these equation with spesific parameters.I think there must be some difference between question a and b so I thought we can think x and y like numbers or actually constant parameters.So I mean f=x+2y is a constant cause x and y is contant so the answer is zero.

Forgive me but Why you guys stop answering the question.Theres a problem and you are avoiding to answer.If one of you find the answer he can tell here cause I am curios.

The question (a) asks for the definition of the derivative of a general function f(x,y)...The definition of the derivatives is with limits I guess...even with or without limits, you can write your 2nd expression in p#15, and try to find the dx/dw, dy/dw.

(b) asks for the given function: f=x+2y

Maybe we are overthinking this. There is no explicit dependence on w in f...

Related to What is the partial derivative of f with respect to w?

1. What is a partial derivative problem?

A partial derivative problem involves finding the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to only one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative problem different from a regular derivative problem?

In a regular derivative problem, the function only has one independent variable. In a partial derivative problem, the function has multiple independent variables and the derivative is taken with respect to only one of them.

3. What is the purpose of solving a partial derivative problem?

Partial derivatives are used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. This can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are the steps to solving a partial derivative problem?

The steps to solving a partial derivative problem include identifying the variable to differentiate with respect to, keeping all other variables constant, using the power rule or chain rule if necessary, and simplifying the expression.

5. Are there any applications of partial derivative problems in real life?

Yes, partial derivatives are used in real life to solve optimization problems and to analyze how changes in one variable affect the outcome of a system. They are also used in fields such as economics to calculate marginal rates and in physics to calculate rates of change in multivariable systems.